Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think of this look?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Nov 10, 2005.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I'm thinking about changing the neck on my damaged bass to this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Since the resale is toast because it got smashed I can't really sell it, and it looks like I'm screwed with the shipping company because litigation takes so long. But I could get it safetied by a Luthier and put a neck on it.

This neck is a USA Custom Guitars neck, 1.5" at the nut, never been used. It's got an ebony fretboard and abalone dots. I'm thinking some black tuners. A fair bit lighter than the Moses neck with tuners, which might cure the neck dive and weight that I hated so much about the bass.

This neck fits nice and snug too: the body is on the couch with the neck hanging out in space and it's not coming off. Also, the body has no relief for truss rod adjustment at the heel, so I need to adjust at the nut. That means that Warmoth, Signature and Allparts are out.

So what do you think? How does it look?

2. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly

Feb 12, 2004
    id find another neck that meshes better with the body shape. Its like youre turning it into an aria.

3. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    the shape looks great IMO....
    I you could make the headstock to fit with the color of the body iy would be greater.. I thnk
    Looks like beautiful ebony FB

4. I like it

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Man, I hate that headstock with that body. But I hear you about the truss rod adjustment. It's a pain to take the neck off when you want to adjust it. And you wouldn't want to cut a hole in the body to do it, I don't think.

6. i like it, its different to see a fender body shape with a non-fender headstock, but it's not bad...

7. beadgc

beadgc

Oct 10, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I like it too. I think that headstock looks good with the jazz body. Black tuners for sure, and if you decide the neck and body sound and feel good, then I'd consider puting a few coats of tinted varnish on the headstock to match the body color.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Ewww. I like the body, but that headstock is hideous man.

9. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Thanks guys,

I thought it would be hot/cold on the answers. I put a strap on the body and the thing slings really nicely now: doesn't seem too heavy any more. I think I might stick with this neck.