What do you think of this MIJ '62 P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zombywoof5050, Oct 5, 2002.

1. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Anyone have experience with this?:

-I prefer non-reverse tuners (that this one has) over the reverse tuners on the MIA.
    -I like that it doesn't have holes drilled for the ashtrays and finger rest (I'd take them off anyway if I bought the MIA, then I'd have holes).
    -Only costs about $460 (compared to $1300 for the MIA).

The only thing I like more about the MIA is the Nitro finish (the MIJ has a Poly finish).

Of course the MIA "might" be made with more quality, but for the price what do y'all think?

Any other pros & cons about this bass compared to a MIA '62 reissue P-Bass?
  2. i cant speak for that particular bass, but i have had a couple MIJ fenders, and the wood on them was considerably better than the wood i see on must of the current MIA ones... i havent seen heavy birdseye on ANY (non-custom shop) MIA in recent years... but i got it on my MIJ medium-scale P-bass!

I think the overall quality is just as good as the MIA ones, even if the re-sale value isnt going to be! But if yer looking for a "keeper" fender bass you might be very happy with something from Ishibashi
  3. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Thanks rockandroller, that's very encouraging.
    It would definately be for playing, without regard for resale value.

C'mon now, I know a lot of you other folks must have some opinions or other useful information about this.

Thanks for any more input anyone can provide!
  4. masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    I've played several MIJ reissues and would not hesitate to buy one. The sound and craftsmanship are both outstanding and the prices are right. The demand for MIA Fenders here in Japan has driven the prices through the roof but the MIJs are, IMHO, of equal or greater quality. Buy it!!!
  5. mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    i personally dont like the sound of fenders.
    i dont like it... and i wouldnt recomend getting it.

thats what i think

pro: popular, well respected

con: no bridge pickup! i think fenders are twangy, over-popular sometimes i feel they have non-constant quality, some good some bad.., too respected and other good options are over looked, people stuck with less quality bass, based on the name

(sorry :mad: )