What do you think of this rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fleabass89, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Hartke 3500 head, Carvin RL410T.... Not the best available, but it's loud and sounds decent. What do you think? Will the 4 10 inch speakers handle the low notes <i>decently?</i> I will probably eventually add a 1x15 or 2x15. just wondering, if anyone runs a hartke head into a carvin cab, do you have any sound clips of you playing?

P.S. I'm too poor to get anything more expensive, so i you have any suggestions, please keep it reasonable within the economic range of the products i mentioned:D Thanks
  2. nice setup man :D I'm sure that'll be great! If you want a reall deep bass tone, I'd get the 1x15 to add to it.
  3. i don't know how much more it would cost, but i would get a 2x10 and 1x15 instead. just my preference.
  4. mesafan

Jul 24, 2001
    If you like flea's sound you can invest in a Mesa/Boogie cab. For $800 you can pick up a 4x10 with a hf driver. Flea uses Mesa cabs and Gallien Krueger amps.
  5. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    That would probably cost a few hundred dollars more than a 4x10 of the same line.

I think that's far beyond what fleabass89 can afford.
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I don't know what the Hartke head costs, but I think the Carvin R600 is a better sounding amp. If the two are at all close in price, I'd get the Carvin instead. If the price differential is too much, the Hartke should still do you fine.
  7. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    I played through a Carvin during a play I was playing bass for and I loved the sound.

Thats almost the same amp Im planning on except a 4000 head and a 2x10.
  8. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Hey... i've played both Carvin amps and speakers.. and although I believe they make a decent bass amp, I can't stand their speaker enclosures. Esp. if you play a 5 string, the 410 will distort the low notes, and even with a 15 added, the speakers distort at well under their power rating. Understandibly the carvin's are considerably cheaper, but if you can afford to wait, anything else would be worth the extra cash.. maybe a working man's or something.
  9. well, the cost is always a factor... i would really like to hear carvin cabs but no stores carry them in my area. thanks for the suggestion, mesafan, and i would take mesa or GK in a second, except i cannot afford them. I guess the point of this thread is..<b>would the setup i mentioned be decent enough to play small-medium gigs without sounding like total <i>(insert expletive here)</i></b>

BTW i play a four string, but I do use drop D tuning sometimes.

and thanks for all who suggested or commented
  10. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    Sansamp PSA-1 pre and a Mackie M-800 power driving a Hartke 2.5XL and an Eden D-115T. I'm not sure on the power amp though. Any other suggestions?
  11. Also, would the Carvin be efficient enough not to crap out on me in the middle of a gig and/or cause my amp to clip constantly?
  12. My Eden CX410 handles the low B perfectly.. but i'm saving up for adding a cx1015 to it, to get even more lows :D
  13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, they're kinda inefficient, but not as much as other things, like Acme. I don't think they're any more likely to crap out on you in the middle of a gig than any comparable cab is.

As for clipping though, be clear on one thing: your cab is not going to "make" your amp clip. Only you can do that, and you basically do it by turning the amp up too high and pushing it too hard. To avoid clipping, you need to think about what size places you're planning to play and how loud your band is. If you have to dime everything to be heard, you'll clip no matter what the cab. Always try to get "too much" amp if you can.
  14. greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    If you don't practice stoooopid EQing and gain structure ignorance the Carvin stuff kicks major booty. And the price is great! Bass Player mag thought so. People submitting to Bass Gear Reviews [http://www.bgra.net/bass-rev.php] thought so too.

And so do I: When I don't feel like bringing a larger rig I routinely hit my Carvin 210 with 500 watts while using a 5-string. I THUMP the B-string. It sounds clear and full. The 410 sounds great too (have spent some time using one) -- but actually I prefer a 115/210 combination.

Best of wishes for your new rig!

<-- greenboy ---<<<<
  15. Thanks, everyone, I think I'll go with the Carvin. My band won't be playing huge venues, just some local small gigs and such.