what do you think of this rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lessthancool, Jul 26, 2002.

1. ampeg svp pro --> mackie 1400i --> 6x10 either ampeg or genz benz

i just bought the svp pro, but i'm having second thoughts on getting the 1400i....i want a good power amp, but i'm thinking that i dont need that much power....originally, i thought that it would be good to go with it because i would have lots of headroom....but the other day, i played out of a 350 watt head into the ampeg 6x10, and it was incredibly loud on the lowest volume setting...now i am unsure.....would i be better off getting the mackie 800? ...or should i go with something with even less power?
  2. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I would grab a Carvin DCM1000,, 1000 watts for 360 bucks! I wouldn't go below 1000 for power,, you never know when you might need it.
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    IMO you can never have too much power. Just because you have 1400 watts doesn't mean you have to use all of them. And 1400 watts isn't really all that much power. If you can afford it I'd say go with it.
  4. for the 600 bucks you spend on the Mackie 1400i, you could get the Carvin DCM2000, 2000 watts @4ohms bridged for the same price.
  5. ok....but does carvin really have the same quality that mackie products do?
  6. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002

7. www.carvin.com

take a look at the power amps. try running those tests on the mackie! :D

as for quality, i couldn't complain for that price and for that power.
  8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Nice preamp.
    Don't know enough about the rest.

From a power amp, I'm just looking for POWER. Be careful about the power ratings. If that 350watt head was all tube, you'd have been able to push it more than a peaked-out 350watt s.s. amp. There's nothing worng with too much power. You may have had great volume in the store. But what do you need the amp for? In live settings, bigger rooms, extended sets, lots of low freqs - you'll need more watts than just what you got great volume in the music store. Get the MAX headroom to keep a clean undistorted signal. If you are driving any amp towards its upper limits for a length of time, it's going to sound like flatula. I say go for all the power you can afford. I went for a QSC RMX 2450 (2400 watts bridged mono 2ohms). I usually keep it set up stereo with a 4ohm load on one side and an 8ohm load on the other and balance the sides or double that channel up with a parallelled cab for a total 4ohm. 750watts per channel - that's way more power than I know what to do with. It all stays "in reserve" to keep me from overdriving.

Which brings me to cabs. The cabs are a very subjective decision. I try to balance tone, power handling, and portability. a 610 would be too cumbersome for my needs. I have a 210 on one side and a 115 and 112 on the other. Takes me more trips to load up, but spares my back and the stairway walls from damage.
  9. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Carvin DCM4000, just give in a get it.
  10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    You could also get an E&W PS-2000 power amp (600 watts x 2 @ 8 ohms, 1000 watts x 2 @ 4 ohms, 2000 watts bridged @ 8 ohms) for less than it would cost to get the Mackie 1400i. Quiet, great tone, light weight and very good build quality.
  11. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    does E & W have a site?

im looking for a power amp under $600, about 400 watts a side at 8 ohms, i like carvin gear but i want to keep my rack as light as possible. i want to keep my possiblitlties open. it will be driven by a GK400 head used as a preamp, driving an Avatar 2x10 and Yamaha SW1x18
  12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey Eric,

Check out this thread.

E&W Power Amps

It has all of the information that you need as far as contacting the U.S. Distributors, W. Mark & Liz Hellinger. I just spoke with them on yesterday regarding some other items that I plan to buy from them. If you need more information contact me and I can point you to some other places that I've managed to dig up. I recently had a chance to try mine side by side with a QSC PLX 1602. All I can say is that I'm happy with what I have.