Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think of this "Robin" Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by junglebike, Apr 9, 2003.

1. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    here it is

Thinking about making an offer on this guy... Seller will take $625. Anyone have experience with this company? The bit of info I found on the 'net has been positive.

And I reeeeaaaalllly love the way it looks!!! :D

2. Billdog

Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    I've never tried one, but I got a catalogue at the Dallas guitar show and, personally, I don't care for their looks. IMO

3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I don't really dig that old school precision bass pickguard, so the looks of that bass do not appeal to me at all.

4. I kind of like the way that all black neck looks with the gold body. It looks very simple and uncluttered.

I approve. :)

Mike

5. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Robin's are very good instruments. I have a late 90's Freedom II with two Robin-Rio Grande "Double J's", and it is a killer bass, especially if you like a lot of bottom end. The one I have plays a lot like my '73 and my '78 P-Basses.

I wonder what happened to the original neck of the one you are looking at.

Steve

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Being in Texas I've seen them around probably more than average. They seem like well-built basses with a definite old-school vibe and they've always seemed highly regarded to me.

On a speculative note...I bet that bass has KILLER tone.

brad cook