1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you think of this slap tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jun 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

For years, I thought PJ basses with non-reversed split pickups had my least favorite slap tones. This Ibanez TMB605 has grown on me, including it's slap. Is the slap ok or not?

Sam N, Mr_O'B, lo_freq_geek and 5 others like this.
  2. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    You, good sir, could slap an EB-0 strung with old flats, and it would sound swell...

More bottom in that tone than I'd expect from the bass in question. Quite nice.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  3. jaybones

jaybones

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Nice!!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  4. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Woo hoo, very nice slap tone Doc! Love the low B string and those nodstrands are great sounding pickups!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Those are the overseas Nordstrands. I believe Kerry Nordstrand when says that he would not sign off on the overseas versions until they met his specifications.

Flaked Beans likes this.
  6. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Overall, its a very good tone....for my tastes a little too bottom heavy: I would notch the bottom back a few db somewhere between 75hz and 125hz but all our tastes are different.....Voicing-wise, your TMB sounds a lot different than the demo of the TMB300 that I posted last year: in slap mode, the 300 sounds like two different basses above and below ~7th fret which I thought was weird -- below the 7th it was a Jazz bass tone, above the 7th it got this woody peizo-like quality although these basses have no peizos....yours sounds way more consistent than the 300 although it gets just a smidge of that "peizo-like tone" when you go up the neck but nothing close to the weird phenomenon of the TMB300

UNICORN BASS likes this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I know my TMB605 had different pickups than the 300 series, but I don't know about the preamp. I will have to search for your video.

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  8. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Ibanez TMB-300 in the studio

after a few seconds of hearing it, scroll to 1:17 where im thumping up the neck and listen to the bizarre tonal difference

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I felt your bass get very when you went high, but it was still quite a usable tone.

10. Way too much low end but I suspect that's just the microphone being what it is. The tone is really sweet, I really liked that, I just had to tame the very low end on my speakers before I could turn it up.

Nice bass!

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  11. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Doc :)

Sounds good! A little bit to scooped in the mids for Larry ;)
    maybe too much deep basses to sound right with a real big drumsound....
    but certainly enough wire to make me GASing for some new roundwounds :D
    all in all a great start for your Ibby going funky :cool:
    big :thumbsup: for your feel and timing (nice groove man!)

greetings

Wise(b)ass

Edit: change your t- shirt ;) it should say "just call me funky" :D

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    InhumanResource and Dr. Cheese like this.
  12. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    There is definitely more bottom end making this one of the warmer sounding slap bass tone I've ever heard. That's not a bad thing though, often slap bass is all definition and lacks solid low end. If it were me I'd boost the treble and high-mids to balance it out a little but all in all it sounds good.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  13. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    That's close to my perfect slap tone. Most I hear I find too aggressive on the pops. To me, that kind of tone works well in an actual song.

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think a lot of the was the drum machine program on my phone. My bass has bottom, but I did not have the preamp engaged, so it was just the passive tone.

15. They are great basses. Would love to hear each pick up solo'ed as well.

Wisebass and Dr. Cheese like this.
  16. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    It sounds good Doc, but I think in a band mix it may prove to be "bedroom tone" unless the instrumentation is very open and airy. It sounds very clean and Marcus Miller-ish to my ear due to a moderate midrange scoop.

Wisebass and Dr. Cheese like this.
  17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The tone sounds good. Good modern slap tone. I prefer more vintage growl in my slap tone but that bass is what it is stock wise.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I love this bass' passive tone, but I will have to record it active so you all can hear it with the bass boosted.

DWBass likes this.
  19. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Millbury Ma.
    People are saying there is too much bottom in your tone, I disagree, I like it, it sounds like a bass is supposed to sound and I think it would fit in a band context fine. Too much treble is obnoxious after a while and detracts from the sound of the band as a whole. The kick drum is a little loud and deep though.

Joedog and Dr. Cheese like this.
  20. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Best slap tone ever