1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you think of this virtual pedalboard? (a.k.a. my resolution for 2012)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Jan 4, 2012.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

Well, it's official: I've got effects obsession thanks to my Darkglass B3K. After comparing that distortion with the one I got from my Zoom B2.1u, I decided to make a list of my all-time favorite effects and, after lots of research and little by little, build my own "serious" pedalboard, which hopefully will be completed by the end of the year. In the meantime, I created a preview for you to check out:

Pedal-MXRM87small. Pedal-MXRM82small. Pedal-HardwireSP-7small. 09-Pedal-EHXBassMicroSynthsmall. Pedal-WilsonWahsmall. Pedal-LoooperABCDsmall.
    Pedal-DarkglassB3Ksmall. Pedal-CopilotPlanetoidsmall. Pedal-HardwireDL-8small. Pedal-MorpheusBombersmall. Pedal-BSSAudioDIsmall.

Some remarks:

- I've never used compression, but after experimentation with VST plugins and built-in compression found on certain amps (experimentation induced by some PM exchanges with Bongomania and scottfeldstein), I think I'm finally getting the point of compression and I'm actually feeling a difference (for good). After LOTS of time reading the reviews at Ovnilab, I decided to give a try to the MXR M87, which I already ordered. I'll post my impressions after I get used to it.

- Unfortunately, the (apparently) only whammy pedal designed for bass was retired long ago and I'm not willing to pay what people is asking for it on eBay. The Morpheus Bomber seems to be the best currently available option, but still haven't found a "definitive" word on its effectiveness with an electric bass. Still researching.

- Notice that trying before buying is out of the question for me. My choices are based on the LOTS of reviews I've read/viewed and what I think is a reasonable features/price relationship for me. As you can see, I'm not on the cheap side, but nothing ultra-expensive either, as far as I've seen. An example: Zvex' Ringtone seems to be an awesome ring modulator, but I'm not willing to spend $389 plus shipping on an effect pedal.

Just wanted to share my thoughts with all of you. Of course, any comments and/or suggestions are welcome. Thanks for reading! :)

2. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    looks like it will be a freakin sweet board. those b3k's sound so good, id love one but abit pricey for a kiwi.

i spent the best part of last year making my board and im happy with it, it includes a whammy IV and it works fine on bass, and i use it quite alot.

whats that copilot fx one? cant say ive ever seen one

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

4. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    I've got a few of the pedals myself. should be a great board. The hardwire phaser is great, even though there isn't much talk about it.

5. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Oh you forgot to put the VT Bass Deluxe picture on there...it's all good, people forget it all the time :smug:

6. barry666

barry666

Dec 3, 2011
    New Zealand
    Wow. Thats gonna be one hell of a freakin board mate!!! What sort of style/sound you playing???

G3Mitch...know where youre coming from mate. All that fithy lucre is so pricey here in NZ!!!

g

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Most of those pedals are barely usable in the music genre I work with the most (tropical music), but I'm already thinking of many things I can do with them in the hard/sort of progressive rock band I also play with. As I told the guitar player, who creates all the original material we play, the idea is to put the effects to work in the new music he creates. When I get all the pedals, I plan to sit down with him and experiment a lot to incorporate bass effects in the band's music. I'm sure it will be a truly enriching experience.

8. CliffD

CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    The Wilson bass wah is killer, I've had mine for a few years and wont go anywhere.

Try to pick up the older version of the BMS, I A/B'd both and the older version just sounded better.

Before you drop 300 on an overdrive look into Fuzzrocious Pedals. Their Oh See Demon and Rat Tail are awesome overdrive pedals that kill on bass.

9. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    An EHX Ring Thing would take care of both of your whammy and ring mod needs.

10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

I'll check it out. Thank you so much, Mr. Baudin!

11. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    aaawesome, another kiwi on TB :bassist:
    theres so many boutique pedals i want ha.. TAFM/b3k. my first one will be here anyday from fuzzrocious. theyr the only makers that ive found that have great prices for awesome sounding/looking gear.

Apologies to OP, not often i see anyone post thats from NZ!
    and also, i guarantee once u acquire all these pedals... YOU WILL NOT BE DONE.;)

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Well, I never thought of putting a tuner in my pedalboard. I'm pretty confident about my aural skills and didn't want a tuner taking valuable space.

But I've just found that this great pedal also works with bass:

Pedal-TCElectronicPolytunesmall.

My guitar player has one of those and I really liked it when I saw it in action, but I wrongly thought it was designed just for guitar. Since polyphonic tuning is such a cool thing (IMO), I think that the Polytune is a worthwhile addition to any pedalboard.

13. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    1. I would really like to try that micro synth. It's my heart's desire to make my guitar into a synth at will.

2. I hope I didn't steer you wrong on compression. At least you've been listening to Bongo. That should compensate for anything stupid I might have said. :)

3. I do like the PolyTune. I've had it for six months. I'm sure there are others that can do the job as well, but I'm happy with this unit and you probably will be too.

14. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Absolutely nothing stupid, man! As I told you, I've been following your steps without thinking about it and it's like we are twin brothers in compression. Actually, I received the M87 two days ago, tested it at home the whole day (I'm on vacation) and took it to a gig I had the same night. So far I've tried the suggested factory settings for standard studio dynamic range reduction and I really like them, specially because while I feel a better sonic balance, I don't lose my dynamics control. What I want to do now is get used and confident with the effect that the attack and release knobs have in the tone (I know what they do in theory and can hear their effect after tweaking them, but I want to be able to interpret those tonal differences correctly without having to look at the knobs, if that's possible).

You and Bongomania have been a big help in my research, man. Thank you one more time! :)

15. Pedals.

16. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Here's how I'm running mine right now. The meter activity depends a lot on how I'm playing, but I've been trying to keep it lit up for every note attack, but not see any amber lights. The ratio is set to 8:1. Output is more or less unity gain.

[​IMG]

Last night I recorded a bit with these settings. Still messing around with it, but it seemed pretty good.

17. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Looks like fun!!!

+1 on the polytune and I would throw a low pass filter in there.

18. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    Depending on what all you are planning on using at any given time, an Eventide Pitchfactor would handle the Whammy, a lot of the sounds the microsynth does, as well as an extremely accurate tuner.

19. No octave pedal? :)

20. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

You know, I've been under the impression that octaver and chorus are two mandatory items on most pedalboards. While I think they are very cool effects, I don't feel compelled to include them in my list. I don't really know why. I'd say I feel they have been "overused" but maybe that's an overstatement. I may change my mind later, but right now I can tell that an octaver isn't that "enticing" to me.