Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what do you think of this...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tucker, Feb 11, 2002.

1. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    What would you think of this...

[what Im going to get very soon]
    What kind of Rack should I get and how many spaces to fit these. I might need room for GK to breathe so maybe 6 or 8? What would you suggest?

-GK400RBlll
    -Korg DTR-2 Tuner
    -Furman Power Conditioner w/ lights
    -Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver
    -wireless(not sure what kind though) any suggestion would greatly be appreciated
    -Any idea of a rackmount effects/compressor,limiter. etc.?

(all this will be in my rackunit, of course where can I put the SansAmp?)

The Cabs-I already have these
    -SWR Workingman 210@8 ohms
    -Peavey BX-BW 115@4ohms

The bass-I already have this as well
    -main bass: Spector NS2000/5

Tell me what you think of this set-up. And how I could improve upon my rack unit. And someone help me with changing the rating of my 115's ohms or what should I do.

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    More Power!
    (Why carry a huge 8 space rack and still be rather limited in power?)
    I would suggest the GK700RB or even more...

BTW the SansAmp is available as 19" rack unit too, called RBI. It has an addtional midrange control, FX-loop, XLR-out and such.

Matthias

3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Either go sans amp + poweramp...

...or...

GK preamp + poweramp.

It's be more efficient than what you're thinking of right now.

4. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Well first of all I don't think I need that much power, only for headroom though, which I will need. But thanks for the input guys. And another thing, Will the ohms of my cabs be ok with the rating on the head? I don't want to blow my speakers or my head. ???????

5. POWER = HEADROOM.
    HEADROOM = POWER.

You need more power to get headroom.
    Get more, you'll use it. A 700 or 800RB would IMO be a more flexible amp.

I've never seen a GK get too hot, so you probably won't need a 1U space above the amp for cooling, but with a wireless, you'll need to mount the receiver as far away from heat as possible. I have to mount mine (using velcro) to the top of my 3U SKB rack, 'cause even with 1U of space above my WT800 heats up stupidly (including the rack!).

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    With that run in parallel it should produce a 4 ohm load on your head, which should be fine for your head. I don't know a head that can't run at 4 ohms?

You'll be getting more wattage out of your 4 ohm cab, though. :)

It should work out nicely though. I believe the 2x10 has a higher SPL than the 1x15, so it should average things out. :)

I could be wrong, though. The 115BXBW really does get loud.

7. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Since the SWR cab is rated at 8Ohms and the Peavey at 4Ohms, the total load will be 2.67Ohms which is too low for the GK!

If you use an amp which can be run at 2.67 Ohms or less the 4 Ohm cab will see more power. Which cab is actually louder also depends on efficiency and frequency response (a cab with a strong midrange appears to be louder). I don't know which one will be louder in your case.

If you want to balance volume between the cabs you need a stereo head (or bi-amp).

Matthias