1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you think of this?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Noles14, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Noles14

Noles14

Mar 10, 2010
    I was recently introduced to this bass through family. I am so intrigued by this metal bass and assume from family yore that it is homemade. I can't wait to play this fine looking instrument, but in the mean time it'd be nice to hear any thoughts about it.

Longplay

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      38.8 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      37 KB
      Views:
  2. I imagine it would be very uncomfortable to play sitting down.
    Edit: Oh- and welcome to TB. :)

3. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    You asked for any thoughts, so here goes. It doesn't do much for me. Maybe beauty is in the eye (and ear) of the beholder? I don't know. I DO know that if it was hand-made by a loved one, especially one that may have gone to "The Great Gig in the Sky." I would treasure and play it with pride!

X8

4. My first thought is that it will be difficult to keep it in tune, as metal reacts to temerature changes more than timber. As always, I could be wrong. Looks interesting.

5. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    ummmmm...Travis Bean to the extreme??? LOL just kidding, play it, and let us know....sound clips would be cool too. have fun and welcome.

6. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009

Attached Files:

7. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    Ever hear of Kramer?

8. Yep, and I've heard they are affected by temperature fluctuations too. I have been wrong before. I happen to like Kramer basses though. ;)

9. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    You are probably correct. I don't know, since I've never played one. However, I thought neck stability was their selling point for using aluminum. Maybe not; that was a long time back.

10. __HM__

__HM__

Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Kramer is one of my favorite guitar companies in the world. Their basses on the other hand, disgust me. :\ also, whats up with their new logo? Ew.

11. I had one in the early 80's, it was a tuning nightmare.

12. Flyingaero

Flyingaero

Jan 12, 2010
    I like Seinfeld as a whole

13. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    If I'm not mistaken, the Kramers were a junior varsity knock off of the Travis Beans.

14. Noles14

Noles14

Mar 10, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the posts so far. I should be picking it up this wekend and will see in what kind of shape it's in and get it playing. I'll keep you updated.

15. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    ..... wow!....

16. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU
    and a WOW for this, too...

and the site says it's aluminium. I wanted to ask if it is painting on wood or what. I've seen that quality of clear mirror paint on guitar, but I think, it won't remain this nice as the wood moves slightly after years..

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020