Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think of your FBB bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Nov 15, 2002.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I own a FBB fretted 5. it's #030-00 in the Gallery page. I love my 5er, and was wondering what all you other FBB users think of your basses.

2. Turd

Turd

Jul 23, 2002
    Ann Arbor MI
    I'm waiting for the FedEx truck to come to my door and drop something special off by the end of the week...

Toodles

3. I like #1046-01 so much, I'm gonna buy #028-00.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    One of these days, (after a Roscoe I'm bordering on addicted to), I'm gonna have Matt build me a 6 stringer, because I really dig his work.

5. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    The FBB i'v got has a few minor issues that need to be resolved, but Matt's dedication to his customers and instruments is fantastic, and my instrument will be perfect soon. I'v got 044-01

6. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    As anyone tried the 039-01? The monster is tempting...! Iknow it's been off that list and it as also been put on stand-by. But why is it still with Matt?
    PL

7. I've tried it, and it's a whole lot better than the Conklin GT-7 and BD-7. The clarity was amazing, even though a terrible Gorilla 1x8 combo.

8. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    K Dubb what was wrong with your bass?

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I luvs mine. I think it's #31-00, but I can't remember. The fretless 4 with the AMAZING walnut back.

Xush will probalby be around here before long. His fretless 5 is great, but he has one of the most incredible fretted 4s ever made, IMO! I can't wait for his buckeye 8string, too. Gee, I love living down the street from him!

10. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    For all you FBB guys, I was looking at his page and on the inventory there are some basses with a 'blank' price. I'm assuming that this means it's with no hardware, i.e. neck and body only. Am I right? If so there's one on there that I'll be ordering and picking up next week when I cash my refund check :D

11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    You would be correct. Neck and body only. That's now I got mine. Make sure you can get those parts pretty readily, though. Once you get that blank in, the anticipation of putting it together is DEADLY!

12. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    woo hoo! Hopefully it's still in stock....if so then it's all mine come Tuesday. :D thanks

13. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    The issues w/ my bass again were very minor. I need a set screw in the bridge replaced because the manufacturer machined it wrong. Secondly, the 21's fret buzzes because somehow it ended up getting unseated and needs to be reset/recrowned. Thirdly I live in an area with way too many radio towers and therefore radiation noise all over. My bass amp plays the radio when i'v got my treble turned up on the preamp. This is going to be remedied by adding a capacitor to roll of the offending frequency range.

I want to stress that these issues in no way reflect Matt's reputation as a luthier. All of these issues are mere freak occurrances that a much less picky and observant person wouldn't even notice. In addition Matt has been very helpful and generous in getting these issues remedied.

14. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I guess it's no secret that I am a huge FBB fan.
    I've restricted my caloric intake, but that's another story...

I am gradually selling off many of my other basses to make room/$ for more of Matt's wonderful creations. I have found a design that fits my every need, and has helped inspire me to even higher aspirations in my pursuit of bassistry. My first commissioned custom fits me perfectly and sounds/looks exactly like I wanted it to, and probably even better than I imagined it could. It was a fun process and I'm glad I found Matt.

I do feel that the instrument can have a lot to do with the 'inspiration factor.' I've got a bass I love to play, can play as long as I want because I have no ergonomic issues with it, and I love the way it sounds. It actually helped me develop a technique I hadn't used before- I don't know if it's just because I'm playing more bass now and it pushed me to develop a little further than I had lately, or if something about the bass itself suggested trying a different approach, but it's been quite a while since I can remember really developing something 'new' to me...

I'm tempted to lapse into all-caps hyperbolic prolixity here, but I'll try to keep it real. I believe there is a certain voodoo at work here, a bass made by hand that transcends the sum of its parts.

Or maybe it's just an instrument made of wood.

Either way, I loves me some FBB's!