Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think: replace Ampeg BXT410 speakers with Eminence Kappa PRO?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David Vega, Mar 10, 2006.

1. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Some experience guys that recommend if will be wise to change the stocks speakers to eminence Kappa PRO 10"?

Any thoughts?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    If you like them in your Avatar B410 Pro you might like them in the other box. You can always change the tuning to match the Avatar. Of course, if you wanted to save money you could buy another Avatar and sell the Ampeg.

3. 4runner

4runner WARNING!"WALL OF DOOM" does "exceed" 140 decibels!

Feb 11, 2006
    Hackensack NJ,
    Hey Dave, Before Anyone can help you make good choices about replacing O.E.M. speakers, you might want to give a little more information, about your particular objectives concerning the cabinet that you want to modify, for instance; what, if anything, don't you like about the cabinet's original speakers performance? Are you trying to increase the "power handling" of the cabinet? Is it something about the "frequency response", that your not particularly happy with, E.G., poor bottom, lacks definition in the mids, or,
    the highs just don't cut through? Maybe you simply want to increase the cabinets over-all "Sensitivity" to get more loudness, from the same amount of amplifier power. If you give a little more information about your objective, I'm sure you'll get the right kind of support.:bassist:

4. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    Thanks ESP and 4runner. ESP: I like the heavy construction of the Ampeg vs Avatar. I like Avatar for the sound and power handling.

4runner: the BXT or the speakers are mid scoop tune, meaning that they do not perform well for rock, heavy metal. When I buy this cab, i did not know about mid scoop term. Also, when I crank my amp, they start farting. I like to add bottom and mid atthe same time with room of power handling

5. 4runner

Feb 11, 2006
    Hackensack NJ,
    Hey David, You can do a number of things to improve your amps Frequency response; but there are NO FREE LUNCHES. by that I mean everything you gain in one area, is achieved because you chose to sacrifice something else in terms of your sound. I tried to look up your BXT 4-10's tsp {Theile Small parameters} to help select speakers that will respond properly to your cabinets port or duct tuning, internal air volume, or "VAS", ... ETC. Well my latest Ampeg catalog is a couple of years old and didn't give all that information, except that the cab was 600 watts,and 4 ohms. But you can call ampeg and ask them for the "TSP" and decide on the kind of speakers that you want / need. even though BXT speakers {10's} are 150 watts each [600watts divided by 4], I suspect the quality of the speakers is challengable {I personally use very high Quality drivers in all of my cabinets, and they're very expensive}; ampeg would go straight out of business mass producing cabs using these [smile]. High quality, high power speakers often use large voice coils, large magnets, very stiff "surrounds",fiberglass, mica, or kapton embedded,reinforced cones, and extremely close tolerences of the speakers moving system. One very large speaker distributor[ open to the public ] is US Speaker.com. They have almost every type of speaker imaginable. If you have any questions about choosing the right speaker{ not that I'm an expert } but I'll be happy to help any way I can.

6. David Vega

David Vega

Aug 28, 2002
    Puerto Rico
    ok, I am familiar with TSP, I'll call them and ask. thanks for your help!!

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'd be very surprised if they willingly give out the T/s parameters of the speakers. Such things are usualy kept secret.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Hah! I got the specs and actual fine-graph charts for all the drivers in my 1832 Extreme a day after inquiring. The drivers were custom-spec'd for the cab design and not stock, not shoddy and fairly far up the foodchain for their time period... though I'm not convinced the 2 tens (or MOST tens for that matter!) gain anything by having cast frames instead of pressed - whereas the eighteen definitely did.

9. 4runner

Feb 11, 2006
    Hackensack NJ,
    You're absolutely Right Greenboy, Most Amplifier/ cabinet manufacturers believe that the general public is basically uneducated, or uninformed, with regard to musical equipment specs. Well, that may have been true back in the 80's, when published specifications were rarely available to us; the consumer. But they'er dealing with a whole new breed of customer these days, and they'll learn that our hunger for knowledge of the equipment we buy, has made their competitors, more willing to build better equipment. Getting back to your observation, Greenboy, an advertisement for a speaker cabinet will highlight a feature like; All Cast Frame Drivers, which, maybe use to mean that the speaker was made with exceptional quality. Today, all it may mean, is that a very low grade of speaker, has a Cast Frame chasis, but speaks nothing about the speakers efficiency, or it's ability to handle the application that it is to be used for. Good observation Greenboy, keep it up! :bassist:

10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Kappa Pro's are heavy, great on mids but shy on low end, and are more designed for PA use. For a bass cab, you're usually better off with an Eminence Beta series 10" than either a Kappa Pro or a Delta.

11. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Oh, yeah, I forgot to address the TOPIC itself. Indeed, Kappa Pros are total crap as a bass speaker. They're meant as what is variously called a mid-bass or low-midrange driver in a multiway system, and they are designed to go in smaller boxes than a typical bass driver. Which brings me to wonder yet again: why did Avatar ever pick the Kappa Pro 10 and the Delta 10 for their 10 cabs? Bad choices.

12. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    This is why I ditched my full BXT stack for a single schroeder 3101212. Have never been this happy with my tone.