What do you think the hardest song to play bass to is?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 311 fan, Sep 26, 2000.

1. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    I really have no idea. You tell me. 311 rocks!!!
  2. Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    From the limited number (about 40) of songs that I play, the one I struggle most with is Seek and Destroy. And that is one of the first ones I learned. There's just a part in that song that I always have a problem with. Maybe it's a mental block.
  3. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    For those of you who missed the false start that this got over in [DB], I'll repeat mine. "Tobacco Road" from Edgar Winter's White Trash is one of the hardest songs I've run into; it's so slow and plodding that it takes a really good rhythm section to keep it on an even pace. I've found that the difficultly isn't always tied to speed and dexterity; slow and deliberate can be very challenging. I've tried Yes songs that are easier than this one.
  4. The chorus in "Immigrant Song".The verses are simple octaves(f#)then the chorus is fast.JPJ makes it sound so easy.
  5. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Almost anything by Victor Wooten.
  6. I saw some footage of Victor in concert with Bela Fleck and my jaw dropped to the floor.What can you do?Oyyye-vayyy!!!
  7. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I was able to see the flecktones live and they were GREAT! I can play the first an last songs on the Live Art CD disc 1 and that's about it! Those must be the easy ones.... :)

8. can you say Les Claypool? Have you heard some of his Slap/pop stuff? i dont know if anyone but him can do it exactly like he does and move around on stage like he does. its CRAZY
  9. AND SING!!! :eek:
  10. To cornbread:That's more than I know!!!
  11. Early Genesis (when Peter Gabriel was in it), especially "The Fountain of Salmacis." I'm trying to learn how to play that.

Derek J. Power
  12. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I have to agree with most folks and say that vic and les offer quite a challenge to figure out what they do. And I respect them both, but I'd have to say vic has more complicated stuff. I've seen him live and I have an instructional video. No matter what he does, how fast or slow, it's craziness. The video I have has explainations BY VIC how to do stuff. He slows it down to snail's pace and it's still impossible.

Hardest to play (or at least copy note for note): Amazing Bass, Live Art (BF& the FTs)

Les' stuff is hard to, but it can be picked apart with patience.
  13. I've worked hard on "Stomping Grounds" from that album, and I've got a lot of it down, except a lot of the fast parts I can only play via hammer ons and pull offs. Vic plucks EVERY SINGLE NOTE!

14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Vic has parts on almost every song where he just plays so incredibly fast that its pretty much impossible for lesser people such as myself to keep up. The thing about Vic's music is just that, it is music. Some people just go out and try to play real fast and show off technique, but Vic manages to keep his stuff musical.
  15. smells like teen spirit!!! J/K!!.. I'd say, for me, the 2nd half (when the drums enter) of Cliff Burton's "(Pulling Teeth)- Anesthesia".. I can do a few parts.. like the AH's and the tapping and the first part.. that's about it though.. and then all the variations he has on Cliff 'Em All..

16. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    well,first of all i don't think that anyone can choose just one among all songs,and say it's the most difficult...anyway,the most difficult from the ones i know,is metropolis part I by dream theater...the tapping solo is incredible to watch live!
  17. Bass2222

Sep 22, 2000
    What everybody is saying is true. Les Claypool and Victor Wooten all both have incredibily technical and difficult basslines to their name, but (technique aside) tunes can be difficult to play based on their harmonic structure alone. "Giant Steps" is pretty damn hard.
  18. The tap solo in Metropolis Part 1 isn't too hard.. I almost have it down.. now I just need lower action and more coordination =)

19. Vic's "Amazing Grace" changed my life! I hadn't been playing for that long but I spent so much time figuring out how to do the melody with the harmonics and the bass part at the same time. I recorded a version of it that's on mp3.com but it sounds like garbage! Haha--but I'm still working on it.
  20. put me down for the solo in "maxwell murder" by rancid. matt freeman is the man.