Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think you should be in it for?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CanadianBassGuy, Jun 24, 2001.

1. I know there is already the 'What are you in it for?' thread, and I didn't read all the replies, so I'm gonna ask you all what do you think you should be in it for. In my eyes, I think you should be in music to express yourself, and to entertain. I really don't think music is about making cash, I think it's about writing music that entertains and makes people think, because if people can relate to what you're saying, they usually are more inclined to listen to you.

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I think that you should be in it because you love to play music and really enjoy playing bass. Not for the money. Not for fame or glory. Not because "I couldn't make it at *whatever other instrument* (as I hear a lot of people say)". Bascially, I think that you have no business in music unless your primary objective is the making of music. That's just my opinion though. :) One thing that I love about music is the following quote (don't know where I got it though): music is the universal language. It's enjoyed and understood by all. Seriously, do you know anyone who honestly does not enjoy some form or genre of music?

3. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    WK: One could make an argument that Gangsta Rappers fit into that category.

In my opinion, we should be "in it" for the fame, glory, and greed. And the girls. Definitely for the girls.

And for world domination.

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I'm with furtim... It's all about world domination... Oh yeah, and the girls!

-robert

5. money girls and free stuff

6. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    I shall be the Supreme Dictator of Bassdom! And together, we bassists shall rule the world! MWAHAHAA!!

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I really like eating.

oooh! Yeah, and roofs. Over my head, yeah, and my daughter likes to eat, too.

8. What does "should be in it for" mean? Does it mean should according to your judgement? Come off your little throne for a bit, OK?

Most professional musicians enjoy their work AND need the cash.

Ask some of your listeners to recite the words from your songs. They may be attentive for many reasons but I'll bet few listen to, and try to understand the meaning of songs in a live performance. How many of your songs have significant meaning anyway? Think about it!

Check out what's popular (ie: makes money). I don't hear many songs (except country) which would make most people "think", but I'll bet the writer, performer and publisher are thinking of all their income. Being "successful" in the music biz is about selling a product. It's always been that way and it's called Capitalism.

Ask any "top 40" entertainer if they would trade their money for the opportunity to make "music that makes people think". That should't take too long.

Smell the coffee sweetheart!!

9. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    I think that a lot of Lifehouse's music as well as some of the Goo Goo Dolls' music is very thought provoking. They're both pretty popular bands. Otherwise just take a look at some of No Doubt's lyrics. If you want music to really make you think, look at just about any Christian label CD. :)

Not that I'm saying that there's anything wrong with earning money for your music. I'm just saying that I think a lot of bands and people who are bent on the money aspect of music are the ones who are unhappy with it.

BTW, just because something is popular doesn't necessarily mean that it makes money. While money is certainly an aspect of the popularity of a lot of things, that doesn't hold true with everything.

Oh yeah, one more really popular band that has lyrics to make people think: U2. Just read any of their album inserts. Also, check out how they support a lot of morally upright causes and donate money to some of those things. Oh, and who can forget Creed? Though, on a final note - yes, lots of the "top 40" bands' lyrics really don't make you think at all.

10. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    ideally we're all in it for the meaning. i am. there's not one second in the day when there's not music in my head. all kinds. plenty with no lyrics. i think music is about sharing feelings - feelings are universal. feelings are human. i know that's introverted, but i think it's true.

realistically, you have to have money to buy the things you need to live. i'd like to have lots of money (just like everyone else), not to be rich, but so i would have the freedom to do what i wanted instead of trying to justify working whatever job or toward whatever career.

sadly, idealism rarely materializes, nor is it widely accepted. but it's great to hear music with meaning born of someone's idealism. that kind of communication is a valuable thing.

i think dave matthews writes outstanding lyrics, incidentally.

11. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Hey, I was one of those people. Just because the bass was not my first choice as an instrument, doesn't make me less of a bass player. I have been playing for over 6 years now and I am glad that some of my past endeavors didn't work out -- that's what led me to the wonderful world of the bass guitar! Your comments remind me of some of my old Army buddies, who bad-mouthed some of the other G.I.s in our platoon because they enlisted for the training and the college tuition and not because they were "gung-ho" about being in the Army.

12. i think the reason i started playing bass is because i love music. like when a person says, yeah so and so's new song is great. and just knowing that i was a part of that song would be awesome. but thats what got me started. what keeps me motivated is the money, the fame, and the chicks.
    bass players will soon rule the world.

13. although i just noticed the name of the thread is what do u think u SHOULD be in it for. um i think i need to change my answer

14. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Hold up Hategear, I meant no offense to you. Let me make my meaning clear to you: what I'm referring to is the people who are like "bass is a lot easier, and since I'm not good at guitar then I'll opt for the easy way out," then those people go on and decide that bass is a cruddy instrument because it's not a guitar. You just simply don't play the same as you would on a guitar (either physically, rhythmically, etc.). Those people are the ones who I consider to be in it just for the money, fame, glory, girls, etc. They aren't in it for the music anymore because they don't enjoy playing their instrument and making music.

You obviously enjoy playing bass and that's awesome. I have several friends who gave up on guitar and play bass now. I have nothing against that at all (just as I have nothing against guitar players or people who play both). Thus, since you enjoy playing bass instead of playing it for other non-musical reasons, you don't fall into the category that I described. Sorry that I didn't express what I meant very well there.

One final thing though: nowhere at all in what I wrote does it say that those kinds of people are any less of a guitar / bass player. I see no way that you could have derived that from what I wrote. So those were your words, not mine.

Anyway, hope I've made myself clear - I honestly mean no offense. It just really annoys me how some people use the "I couldn't make it at..." and use the bass as some sort of out, as if it's a lesser instrument or something - and then they don't even enjoy playing bass! But right, I think that you know what I mean now. Again, sorry for the misunderstanding! :)

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    ...Don't mind me...

...just strolling by....

...just go on enjoying yourselves.

16. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    It's all good, White_Knight. Although it may have read like I was, I wasn't offended by your original post. :cool:

17. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Trying to tell us something, BW?

18. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Don't worry BW, we're all cool here! :)

19. geez, white knight... lifehouse? U2? creed? the goo goo dolls??? have you been taken over by pod people?

ecch... somebody get me 50cc's of fugazi...

;)

20. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'm in it for the same reasons I play hockey.
    I really enjoy it.
    I'll probably never be good enough to make my living at it because I have a real job and a family.
    I do what little I do to challenge my mind and body, live out somewhat a fantasy, and keep from being a boring person.
    After so many years of playing, it really would seem a waste just to stop and never do it again.

Everyone has his reasons. None are "better" than others. There are just about NO bass players around here. I could play every night with a different band if I wanted to. I wouldn't blame a frustrated musician for taking up the bass just to get more playing opportunities. It doesn't matter to me if he's doing it for chicks, dough, free stuff, fame, or whatever. The instrument is an extension of the person.