what do you think?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick Bibeault, Jan 5, 2004.

1. I fell in love with the Aguilar GS112's today on my trip to Bass Central. I just love the tone of it through an Eden head and i would like to know:

does the GS212 sound like the 112?

how does the GS112 compare sound wise to the Avatar 112?

if the aggie 112 and 212 sound the same, how does the aggie 212 compare to the Avatar B212?

I'm a student bassist on a extremely tight budget so i'd like to get the Avatars if i can if they compare to the Aggie's sonically.
  2. Nobody here knows?

3. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have never played through the Aggies or the Avatar 112. I do own and love the Avatar B212. I can easily recommend it for nearly any use. I use mine alone or with the Avatar B210 (Also and amazing cab!)

I have considered getting either a Aggie or Avatar 112 and I am reluctant to buy either without trying them out. (Although I took a chance with my Avatars and was thrilled with the outcome!)

Good Luck

PS: If you have $600, you could do worse than to buy the Avatar B212 and B210. Together they are an amazing set-up!
  4. abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I haven't tried the GS212 but I would say that the cabinets are tuned differently. I have a GS112 and I would probably buy another one as opposed to a bigger cabinet with two speakers but that's just me. I prefer a modular setup rather than carrying around a big cabinet. I would think the coupling of 2 GS112s would sound better, but I haven't played a 212 so take with grain of salt.
  5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I've tried both setups.

I like and own (2)GS112's. That is also because I can bring both or just one to a gig.

The GS212 wasn't my bag, big and cumberome. The tone isn't the same. More focused in the little boxes. Plus, I have one of the tweeters at Half and the other (on top) at Near Full... great tone for a 5'er, punchy and bright... Easier to carry to gigs.

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I prefer 2 GS112s as well, for flexibility and portability.

From what I have read and heard, the GS212 has a more aggressive sound. It has a little more in the mids. Two GS112s have more bass and a focused sound.