1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mammoth_Bass, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Mammoth_Bass

Mammoth_Bass Check out my band Mammothor!! Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
    Hi guys, I'm intrigued by this bass at my local GC. I'm not too well versed with MIJs and am hoping I can get some insight. A little more than I would like to spend but if you all think it's a good price i would consider taking it home.

Thanks!!

Guitar Center: Music Instruments, Accessories and Equipment

2. The link just takes me to a generic GC shopping page.

3. Mammoth_Bass

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
  4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    condition? price?

second link also leads to a generic page.

5. Mammoth_Bass

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
    Ughhh it is $749 with case and listed as good condition. I need to go check it out in person

6. Joedog likes this.
  7. Mammoth_Bass

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
    Here is a screen shot

Attached Files:

8. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    The MIJs/CIJs are tremendous instruments, and that's a very cool cherry sunburst. Never seen an original MIJ Jazz with Strat knobs, though. That's not to say they don't exist.

GC is describing the instrument as being in "good condition," and as that's a very subjective term, I'd want to know a little more before agreeing to any price. Is there buckle rash on the back of the body? Excessive fret wear? As you surmised, the only way to find out is to go over there and investigate it yourself.

rumblejunkie and Mammoth_Bass like this.
  9. Mammoth_Bass

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
    Going to head over in an hour or so!

10. Mammoth_Bass

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
    ok so it played great! but... finish had alot of cracking (typical for foto flame i believe). Also tuners, bridge, pickup poles, & pickguard screws had alot of rust. Some decent gouges in the back. Tried to negotiate with cash in hand but got shut down immediately... oh well

wintremute likes this.
  11. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    Just curious. What did you offer? Was it less than $500?

12. Mammoth_Bass

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
    i didn't even get to say. I was shut down basically. What do you think is a reasonable offer? Was thinking to offer around 600/650

13. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Yeah...$750 is a bit rich for that bass, especially with the issues you brought up. $500 would be the top end as I think Gregg is implying.

14. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    WAY too much $$$$$ for a foto flame is so-so condition.

15. Mammoth_Bass

May 2, 2016
    Sandown, NH
    Thanks guys I will keep an eye on it in case it drops

16. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    I think $600 is reasonable. I'd say $650 tops... includes tax. Rust on the tuners, pups, and bridge would turn me off. A cracking finish is not so bad, but gouges is another thing. I would have offered $500 before tax. Cosmetics are important.

17. Someone at the store must have paid too much for it. They usually have pretty good prices on used items such as that one.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  18. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    750 is highway one/American special territory

Joedog and TN WOODMAN like this.
  19. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Agreed, that is over priced.

And like you suggest, cracking is a very common problem with the Fotoflame finish. It's actually printed on a piece of paper with the poly spayed over it. They must have used something to bond it to the body, but after a while that fails, and the paper delaminated from the wood underneath. The poly on the surface is still intact, but brittle when there's nothing underneath supporting it. Slight bumps that would otherwise not hurt a traditional poly finish, will make large chunks of the poly finished paper come off in chunks.

And, once it starts there's not a lot you can so. If you still have the pieces you can try and reattach them, but it will always show.

20. madbass6

madbass6 Banned

Jan 13, 2009
    I do not give consent to use any of my photos ! please respect that. thank you.
    thats a tricky question .. only you can decide on that one! what mite be awesome for me mite suck for you! my advice, would be to do your home work google reviews etc. but most importantly test drive it for sure before purchasing !