Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ron Now, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I am currently in a band that tunes F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db (I'm playing a 5 string Ibanez ATK or a Dean Razor Neck-thru, Just tuned donw really low with really high action) And once I get some $$ in my funds I am going to get some properly gauged strings to string up one of them for proper use.

However my current problem is to either keep with the F-Db tuning or going a step lower from C-Ab. Despite tuning as low as we do we do alot of improv (I especially like playing around in the higher octaves) However I was thinking that if I put the Low C on there it would keep me from noodling around too much and helping me to keep the low end while the guitarist are up screwing around in the higher registers.

Yeah, I am not sure if it is just I am bored and want to think what anyone else thinks about this idea whether it would be a good idea or would that low C be to the inaudible range
    (btw I use 8x10's with a 400w H&K Head so it drives enough power for the application)

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Can't hurt to try it. I know Jauqo III-X and Garry Goodman use those notes. You will need some specially built really thick strings to pull it off properly, but I see no reason not to try it.

3. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals

Ive found the strings, It's just the matter of whether if it will make a loud enough sound (the F is already pretty gut moving as it is)