1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you think?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DRafalske, Apr 3, 2009.

1. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    Sorry for another thread like this, here is what I'm contemplating. I have an old Kustom KPB200 combo with a single SRO15. This was the first real amp I bought and has served me pretty well for the last 15 or so years. The amp is starting to flake out any time you get it hot. It's still OK practicing at home, but anytime I'm playing with my band it will overheat and shut down. I can't find anything wrong with it so I'm guessing it's just worn out.
    I'm expecting a pretty decent refund from Uncle Sam this year, so I'm thinking of upgrading my amp (probably a new Epi TBird Pro in my future as well:bassist:). Specifically, I'm eyeballing a GK Backline 600 head and 210 cab, and then run the head's 2nd output to that SRO15.
    What do y'all think? Sounds like a good plan to me.

Dave

2. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Sounds like a plan, either GK or Markbass.
    everything else doesn;t quite seem worth it anymore.

3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Just for interest is this amp a fan cooled design?

Paul

4. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    DRafalske,
    The G.K. 600 is a good head....
    But....for roughfully the same money as a new 600, you could probably pick-up a good condition, used, G.K. 700, 800 or 1001 head off the classifieds here on T.B.
    Ealier this week there was a T.B.'er that bought a good condition, 700 watt, G.K. 1001 head for $350.00 from the classifieds.

5. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    I'm wondering how much dust has built up in there over the years.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    BINGO! :)

Paul

7. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    The Kustom amp had accumulated quite a lot of dust over the years.:cool: I was surprised when I removed it from the cabinet, the amp itself is completely open on top. I blew it out with compressed air.
    It is NOT fan cooled but has a monstrous aluminum heat-sink. I tried pointing a little fan at it, didn't seem to help much. Maybe it took longer to freak out, but it still freaked out after about 30 minutes of hard playing. I really need to be able to depend on it.

I'll keep my eyes on the classifieds / CL / etc. Not ready to purchase anything for at least a few weeks.

D

8. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Your in a great position for amp shopping right now.
    With Genz-Benz, MarkBass, G.K., Eden releasing new models, alot of players will be selling off their last years models in order to go with this years latest and greatest....

9. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
  10. DRafalske

DRafalske

Nov 6, 2008
    Hebron, KY
    Yeah, so, I got ahold of that fellow in the CL ad I posted about. Got him to sell for 5 bills and got the rig home today.
    I'm impressed. This is light years above my old setup, which was capable enough. I hope it will still be able to serve at least as a practice amp.

Here's a pic. We all like pics. :bassist:

Dave

Attached Files:

11. Nice find!!