what do you think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by intillectualmin, Dec 20, 2002.

1. intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    i just bought a new amp (ampeg b100r), and it only made me want a new bass even more. So now, im startin to research basses. I mainly play for my church and with my friends... we just like to jam playing all kinds of music.... ie creed, incubus, blink, the strokes, red hot chili peppers, primus(if i can handle the bassline) and the list goes on. So i would need a bass that has a pretty wide tonal variety... and i would really like a 5 string bass. The ones that ive been lookin at are the Ibanex SRX 505 and the warwick rockbass corvette classic 5 string. So my price range is around 500 dollars. Would you guys have any recommendations for 5 string basses for me? thank you for any advice.. and im not in any hurry really.. im pretty broke right now.. haha.. so take ur time
  2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  3. babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    You should look into getting a used Ibanez ATK305. I just picked one up for $300 and couldn't be happier - it's rapidly become my main bass. I find the preamp to be very versatile and capable of producing plenty of clarity, punch, growl or combinations thereof. Sweet neck too -- plays very nicely.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you can find a used Ibanez ATK 305, they are very nice basses for the price.

The MTD Kingston is the best 5 under $700, and has a better B than some fives that go for $1500+.

Of the two basses you mentioned, they are pretty similar in quality, but pretty different in neck profile and tone. Play them both as much as possible before making a decision. But try to play an MTD if you can. If you do, it will probably be your pick.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Jeff's spot on. But they can be had for less than $500.

It's what I picked.
  6. intillectualmin

Sep 18, 2002
    where would that be?
  7. DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
  8. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I saw a MTD Heir 4 at Marshall Music the other day for $425... if I could only hear it through my amp, maybe I'd snag it