Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you think...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Microbass, Jan 13, 2003.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I hate Trace Ellliot - very "rock" sound - even so, £240 sounds a lot already for a second-hand amp with no guarantees - I'm sure you could do better!!

I'm no technical expert, but playing a 300 watt amp through a cab/speaker that can only handle 100 watts sounds like a recipe for disaster to me?

But then I like as clean a sound as possible and would never buy anything wothout hearing it first anyway!

2. Bruce said.......

but playing a 300 watt amp through a cab/speaker that can only handle 100 watts sounds like a recipe for disaster to me?

Bruce is right.

The 2 cabs connected to the amp will be done in parallel = 4 Ohms impedance @ 200 watts for the pair. But, and it's a big but, each cab is still only capable of 100 Watts. If driven to it's useable limit, the amp will supply sufficient voltage swing to develop 300 Watts over 4 Ohms but that will exceed the rating of both cabs.

Bruce is right. Don't do it. IMHO you either need an amp that will drive 100 Watts into 4 Ohms to use both cabs, or another cab @ at least 300 Watts if you buy the TE.

I've no experience to say whether or not the TE is a good buy at that £.

John

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I guess I like the Trace sound for the same reason Bruce dislikes them! I love the sound.

However, I'd be wary of buying this one from ebay. The seller has zero feedback (I know you've got to start somewhere!), it is all just so brand new (original box etc etc), he says he's getting rid of it for a V8 head - well maybe true enough, but he'll be selling this close to what he got it for (hopefully for him he'll be trying to minimise his losses!)

Also, it's at £240 with 3 days to go - watch this one and see what the price ends up at!

I'd also be careful of the head with the speakers you're using. With the 2 cabs, they will potentially get 150 watts each - above their capacity. This will not do their long term reliability any good.

Also, what the seller says about the later post-Gibson takeover models to me is tosh! I traded a pre-Gibson head (AH250) in for a new AH500 head. They still sound great. Bear in mind also that the SMX range hasn't been made in a while, so if it's 'new', it's been lying around for a while!

Just as an aside, check out :-

http://www.flyingpigmusic.co.uk/

and look at their Trace Elliot prices. I dare say that there are other places in the UK that still do brand new Trace stuff, at a little more than this ebay auction will end up at!

4. OK, thanks guys! I guess I'll give this a pass.. ;)

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    300-watt amp ==> 100-watt (continuous) speaker?
    Shouldn't be a problem.

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

If you're still interested in Trace Elliot stuff, do a search, and see what comes up!

For your own piece of mind, you might want to watch this amp as it gets to the end of the auction to see what price it reaches!

Just my tuppence worth!:)

7. from what i've heard, TE seems what I might be looking for, but brand new, I've seen them for abour 800! Waaaaaaaaaaaay out of my range! Same with Mesa.. :(

Ah well.. SHould have a new bass soon.. I'll live.

:rolleyes: