Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what do you think??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by miccheck1516, Feb 15, 2003.

1. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    first post here guys after having lurked about for about 6 months, lol

I just got a new laney HCM65B amp and a yamaha rbx270 bass, what do you guys think about them?? will they be suitalbe for playing rock/jazz on??
    Also does anyone have recommended settings for the amp?

Another thing i would appreciate would be some site giving detailed instructions on how to slap, when i try, i end up hitting at least two strings with my thumb..............anyone out there know of a good tutorial???

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Hello

Your gear's fine. It's the player that makes the sound (in this case rock/jazz).

THere are were some lesson son http://www.michaeldimin.com but the site is down.

Re amp settings if you play with others set the amp flat and boost the mids slightly so you can hear yourself. At low volumes boost the lows and highs to compensate for the Charles Manson effect or whatever it's called.

Welcome to talkbass

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hey, I have the Laney HCM120B

it's pretty cool, I don't know if your model has the same switches than mine but I pretty much have this settings:

Compressor/gain ON
    Bright switch ON
    Bass @ +1
    EQ Flat
    Trebble @ 0

so far i have no complains and i'll say you have a pretty good bass amp there (but then again im not an amp expert, i have tried so few brands because of my location)

I have played some jazz and rock on it and it's mostly work of the bass rather than the amp (because the amp is good for both genres, a little more rock IMO, hence the HARDCORE MAX model name :D

I might suggest upgrading the bass

also, don't rush about the slap thing, there are far better things for you to learn that will actually be more productive in the long run... the slap will come naturally (if some technique is learned)