1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you think????

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bigben379, May 27, 2012.

1. Hey guys im after some feedback / critique / thoughts on my youtube clip.
    Its one of the instrumental bands i play in, still fairly fresh ( clip is of first gig) and ive been playing bass for about 2 years.
    Im not keen on people ripping me to shreds but some constructive criticism wouldnt hurt....
    Also let me know if you think im doing alright haha!!
    I would also like to hear your thoughts on the music itself.
    Cheers

2. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Interesting tune, I liked it. It had a paganistic quality to it that conjured visions of nubile Celtic maidens dancing 'round a bond fire on a spring evening. Maybe you should name it "Fertility Dance." :D

As far you specifically, looks to me that you hold your own just fine and do the job for your band. Tone and chops fit the groove to my ear.

Rock On Dude! :bassist:

3. thanks smogg!!!

4. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Good groove. like the material - very prog meets latin meets traditional music...

The groove is very listenable, danceable - rock feel at times - but with the performance as a whole steering clear of 'rocked up' territory (insert song + pverdriven guitar..)

I'd say live, with the drums & bass more ...dominant, you had a good night and so did the patrons.

Keep it up!:bassist:

EDIT: I'm not versed in much music - outside of some rock metal, but I like what I hear...

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Approved. You may continue. :D

6. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    From a guy who plays in a band that does quite a few instrumental tunes, I liked the country meets jazz meets Latin vibe meets progressive meets Middle Eastern sounds to it and not the same riffs over and over like most instrumentals.

The opening guitar sequence reminded me of the beginning and ending parts of I Cheat The Hangman by The Doobie Brothers. They also had a knack for melding various styles into one song.

7. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Good job dude. If I caught you guys at a club, I'd probably stick around. I would much rather hear something like this than hear lame, overplayed covers.

8. Ajak

Ajak

Mar 31, 2012
    Bern, Switzerland
    This is an awesome! More!

9. thanks heaps everyone!!!

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Very nice song and tasteful playing.

11. cheers!!!

12. bassAddict05

bassAddict05

Jan 1, 2005
    Seattle
    Very progressive. The latin flavor is delicious.

13. any criticism about the playing?

14. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CO
    Needs more cowbell.

15. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CO
    No really though, I'm half way into the video and can't discern anything that I'd change or say, nah, that ain't no good bro. Feels like honest playing, to me. Fits the music well.

Stage presence could be a bit stronger, if anything. :bassist:

16. +1

17. ill get some more of our recordings up if anyone would like to hear them???

18. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    If they critique correctly, you shouldn't fear being ripped to shreds. Having said that, I'm listening to it right now.

Intro 0:04-0:044
    I love the spanish feel, really sets the mood/tone for the piece as well as the 2nd guitar countermelody. If I was to point out something, it sounds too cymbal-y. I understand it's the beginning of the piece but it sounds like he's overplaying the cymbals. Some kinda variance of sound (someone mentioned cowbell, maybe a woodblock, vibraslap [look it up, rattle-snake sounding kinda thing]) or less cymbal work perhaps?

Next section (bass entrance)
    0:44-1:20
    Damn. Solid groove. Nice establishment of the motif here. Kinda jazzy feel about it.
    1:10 guitar fill/solo
    Looks like a foot-pedal issue here (had to watch it 3 times just to notice it). It sounded like he came in late, but, footpedals, I get it. I think that section sounded a bit short as you went into a new section at the end of the fill/solo. To me, take in mind I'm unfamiliar with what you're accomplishing here, if you threw in a solid established melody there that you kept repeating in different modes/styles in the song...
    Just an idea... (for an example of what I mean, listen to Beethoven's 5th for repeating motifs)
    But that's me being overcritical... I digress

1:20-1:30
    Nice transitional movement. It wraps up the previous musical thought and leaves the audience in a "where is this whole thing going now" kind of feel. Then I love how the drummer leads into the next section

1:30-2:30
    Bass is setting the groove, you're all but locked in with the dummer and whatnot. Guitarists are doin' their thing. Solid. There's a section in [what feels like] 4/4 that turns into... some triplet-sounding signature. I like the transition and lead-in. You keep with the drummer and lay a foundation down. Played through once so the audience gets it and lead into the guitar solo.

2:30-3:00
    New section introduced. Another transitionary section. I can't help but hear you [bass] play something other than the foundation here. A harmonic lead part here would sound devilishly pretty, granted the guitars back off a bit. At least from 2:30-2:45ish. You should take that spot next time. I think it'd be cool.

3:00-4:25ish
    Solo section
    3:00-3:27 you're on the quarters playing the root, sounds like. Frankly I think it's boring playing that and I can only assume you don' tlike it much either. Maybe a descending gliss on one? I think it just needs less than quarters (wholes?) or something to breakup the 1 2 3 4.

4:30-
    Back into a familiar motif (like the beethoven thing I was mentioning. sorry, I didn't listen this far in back then XD).
    @4:40ish sounds like a sitar-ish kinda sound for a solo. That's pretty nifty.
    @5:00 you could have REALLY REALLY shifted this entire thing into some crazy psychedelic movement, I hear. Your music leaves a lot of open doors for listeners, I think that's why I like it at least. The guitarist sounds like he's going to take it there. But kudos on keeping that spanish feel. The whole quieter section (5:00-6:00ish) I like how you didn't play much. It's just the spotlight on the solo.

The solo from 5:00-7:00 sounds a bit long for the way the song's played. It's just kinda repetitive and I'd even say to the point of "we get it". Yes, I do realize I said some of your movements sound like incomplete thoughts as well as saying that your latest was a bit too much. This song kinda has shades of "La Villa Strangiato" to it... would love to hear something different at 5:00 then move back into your central motif.

I like the section coming together at 7:30, it's familiarity and brings it all together.... which brings it into the ending and I can't say more.

Overall it was an addicting song basically because you and the drummer were just solid. I didn't comment much on the solo's as they're really just a musician's take on the music and I can't wrong them on that. In terms of how the band looks together, however, I'd say that you don't look enthused to be there. I can't see the drummer, the guitarists are reacting to how and what they're playing but you're straight-faced and just kinda swaying back and forth. The more people see you getting into it, the more they'll get into it. Smile, at least. Otherwise, you're just locked in the pocket it sounds like. Little things here and there. I would have LOVED to have heard a soprano sax solo in there... it would have sounded sweet. I don't mean to sound like I'm ripping your song apart, I'm just providing my opinion [I'm sure others will disagree with it].

Thanks for putting your song up. Sounded really progressive and I liked listening to it.

cheers

19. thanks disappear, im so happy you took the time to listen to the song and put forward your critique!!!
    Im glad you enjoyed it and i will take on your advice, especially in regard to stage presence, i wasnt all that comfortable, as you noticed.
    I only had 3 weeks to learn those songs as i was a new addition to the band....
    Im sure with a bit more time playing together we will get some on stage chemistry going.
    Thanks again

20. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    The audience doesn't know anything until you show them. It really did look like you mastered your part and you were groovin' with the drummer.