1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you use for bumpers?

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by Axtman, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I recently bought a used Upton Standard bass (whoo hoo!). I would like to protect the edges when I lay the bass down on hard flooring. What do you use for aftermarket bumpers? Will self adhesive felt furniture glides work? Thanks!

2. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Good question! Mark Gollihur used to sell leather bumpers but last I heard his source dried up and he hadn't found a new one yet. I'm in the market too. I'm considering getting the gaffers tape out and having at it! ;)

3. The Warburton solution is automotive drive belt.

jsf729 and Jason Hollar like this.
  4. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Do'in thin so... Paul's solution seems better. Hyde glue, leather. Gollihur's pads were perfect for me. They're still on my first bass after many years.

5. dday110

dday110

Jul 14, 2004
    Cleveland, OH
    I used leather from an old belt

Jason Hollar likes this.
  6. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Pictures please!

7. My luthier had some 3/8" thick leather that he used on my previous bass. Don't have bumpers on my current bass, but I need to soon.

8. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I made some from scrap ebony a couple weeks ago. But after reading about the v belt idea, I'm tempted to try those instead

9. jasonrp

jasonrp

Feb 19, 2015
    vt
    I use leather ones from Fretwell. Cheap and easy

10. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I put the Gollihur bumpers on my bass about three years ago. No issues and they do a great job for me. Maybe contact Gage or Upton, or.....

11. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Try calling Upton. The bumpers on my Upton are ebony with a leather top.

12. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I ended up using brown felt strips from the hardware store. I had to double them up to get the proper thickness. (Please note that the felt strips come in packages of 6 so you will have to buy 2 packages.)

Attached Files:

13. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Have you had to take them off yet? I'm just wondering about the strength of the adhesive on the finish if you have to take them off. Having said that... Has anyone taken off the Gollihur bumpers? I haven't.

14. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Good question about the adhesive. I emailed Bryan at Upton Bass to explain what I was doing. He did not raise a concern. My experience with the felt pads under my chairs and tables is that the adhesive is not all that strong. The pads mostly rely on gravity to stick. I have had a few move or fall off after moving furniture around.

15. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I just tried this (the fanbelt I bought wasn't tall enough to clear the edge of the top, and a belt that IS tall enough --one made for a riding mower-- is like $75). Two rolls of the adhesive-backed felt were about $8 at Lowe's. I don't think this is going to stay stuck on the bass, tho.

16. I've had Gollihur ones on both basses for about 4 years and they don't seem to be going anywhere. Too bad to hear his supply dried up, they were perfect, and with color options too! (black, dark brown, light brown)

17. Here something different for basses with a large overhang of the top (and maybe inner linings needed too):

PVC tube as a bumper

Also see the pictures a bit below and the explanation on the scone page there.

18. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

I laminated 2 pieces of 1/8" rubber into a 1/4" thick bumper and stuck 'em on.
    photo(280).JPG photo(281).JPG

Jmilitsc likes this.