1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you use for Drop C

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by socialleper, Apr 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I can't be the only guy around here bringing the big low end with a drop C (CGCF) tuning on my 4 string bass.
    Tell me about the brand, style, and gauge of strings you use if you use drop C tunings on any of your basses.

Currently I buy a heavy (.110-.050) DR Hi-Beams set and an extra .120, then toss the .110, giving me a custom set of .120, .090, .070, .050. I'm thinking about moving to Lo-riders for a little extra tension without adding thickness to the string.
    In the past I tried D'Addario's "balanced" set, but they died very quickly. I usually can get months out of a set and these lasted weeks.
    I recently tried a custom set of Ernie Ball Slinky strings (.125, .090, .070, .050) that were super mellow, but they actually sort of worked on the bass I put them on.
    I'm REALLY tired of having to custom order sets because it always pushes my shipping dates out, sometimes a week or two.

2. Have you considered the DR DDT's? DR DDT Drop-Down Tuning Bass Strings - 4-String Set

I personally don't use any down-tunings, but based on what I've read, these are specifically designed for that purpose - both for tuning stability and retaining tension (ie stiffness) without having to go HUGE in gauges.

Just a suggestion...

3. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I am curious to hear from people that have used the DR DDT and Dunlop Heavy Core strings.

4. Have you checked out this thread yet? D Standard Club (DGCF)

You might get better feedback there.

5. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Sets for D standard are a cake walk. Any .110 set will do. Drop D with a .105 set is pretty easy too. The whole step drop on the E string from a standard D to C messes everything up. I want to get a conversation going about how people handle the difficulties of a tuning that is common in some forms of music, but that isn't being supported by string companies at all.
    I want to hear the creative ways people have gotten around this obstacle.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  6. DR DDTs .115
    No problems at all. In fact I'm about to order a new set, it's time for a string change.

7. I've been looking into this too. The DR DDT-55 set seems pretty close.

I have been looking at the Daddario EXL160BT .120 .090 .067 .050 seems to be right about where I want to be. EDIT: Just noticed you mentioned these. I have always found Daddario XL string die a little early too.

socialleper likes this.
  8. Mather

Mather

May 28, 2012
    I play in several metal bands and I have become an expert (at least I think so) at figuring out which set of strings offer the most tension. Im very picky about playing one bass, yet I play in a few different bnds with each band have its own tuning. I find that Rotosound makes very 'tension heavy' string that allow me to go extremely low and comfortably. DR High Beams were my favorite when I was in a metal band that played in drop D. Very low tension set.

Seriously, give it a shot.

9. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I use .125 .90 .65 .50 DR neons for D Standard/ Drop C/ C standard

10. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    I used a .110 and it sounded great. Of course I am a light string convert, though I've only gained in the trade, not lost a thing ditching thicker strings. My bass setup with 40-95 regularly sees drop D without issue.

11. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I tune B-E-A-D with Ernie Ball Power Slinkies for 5 string, then tune up for the songs where an open C makes more sense.

12. JackTheRipper

JackTheRipper Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I use DR DDT-55s for drop c. They work great for me.

--jack

erigod23 likes this.
  13. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Generally I like using Hi-Beams but I've been wondering lately if at that tuning I shouldn't be using something else. I'm also having a heck of a time getting DR singles.

14. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Wow! Do you have your action set really high? I would think that would make a heck of a racket on your frets.

15. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I'm guessing this is a custom order set. I don't even see some of those gauges listed as part of the sets.
    Where do you get your strings?

16. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    3/32" on the E and a little lower on the other side. I find that simply backing off my attack about 10% when I have to drop tune gets rid of any klank without sacrificing tone.

17. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    I got them from Bass Strings Online, great place, good prices, great customer service. I just messaged @SLaPiNFuNK on here fully expecting a no I can't do that but he was glad to do it.

18. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    That's where I generally order my strings from. The place is less than an hour away from me.

19. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I'm rezzing my own thread. I still need a better solution to this. I can't seem to find a set that has the right gauges, and no matter what angle I go at this from its going to take 1-2 weeks for me to get my strings. That's just too much lead time to be reliable if something happens and I need a string now.
    It seems really ridiculous that with the modern rock market the way it is, string manufactures haven't figured out that people are using drop tunings and making specialized sets. A .125\.120 .090 .070 .050 set is perfect for me but I can't seem to get it without spending $40 and wasting strings, or waiting for stock to come in.

20. I just put on a set of Daddario EXL160BT. Gauges are perfect for me. Even if they die a bit early they are easy to find and priced right. Convenience is the winner.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021