1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you use for drum tracks?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BigDanT, Oct 30, 2013.

1. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm not sure this is in the right section but I couldn't really figure out where it belonged.

So ok, the easy answer is "a drummer" but I am looking for some app, effect or device I can buy that has a range of pre-programmed drum grooves that it can loop as well as the ability to program custom beats. Main reason is for practice, recording and working out song ideas.

I know there are a variety if drum machines out there but I'm looking for something easy enough to use that I don't have to be a computer programmer to do it but has more to it than what's available on some of the bass multi effects units.

What are you guys using?

2. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Boss RC-2. The guide tracks are hella lame,...but they get the job done.

Beyond that I'm working towards making a throw away drum set as muted as possible and teaching myself how to play. Eventually I hope to be able to sample my own drum loops.

3. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Some of the old 90's drum machines are incredibly easy to use and incredibly cheap these days. I'll bet you could find an Alesis or Boss drum machine that will do everything you want. I mean some of them literally have like a 5 minute learning curve, can't get much easier than that.

4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    The Zoom B3 is extremely easy to use but may not do everything you need. It loops and records perfectly and even quantizes automatically. I'm not too savvy with this kind of stuff dizzy. but I think it could work great for you. Plus it has tons of great stomp box models. Hopefully a B3 expert will chime in as to its' full potential.

5. slingki

slingki

Jan 23, 2013
    An '' el cheepo'' yamaha keyboard , plenty of drums beats in any genre .

6. thirteendevils

thirteendevils

Sep 12, 2012
    UK
    If you have an iphone try the 'Supermetronome' app, very easy to use with many different styles and patters that can be dialled in.

7. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Ah good point, I always forget about those newfangled software thingies. If you have an android phone you might like "Electrum" a free step drum sequencer. Super easy to use. I used it on this track:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  8. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    If you want a full fledged plugin check out Addictive Drums. Can get pricey once you add sound packs, but comes with a lot of usable drum sounds and beats. They often run specials on the add-on packs, most recently a B1G1. Any clip on my webpage (check my signature below) is likely done with Addictive Drums and the factory provided beats which you can drag and drop onto your DAW and arrange them as you want, then tweak them in the piano roll.

If you need cheap, the older hardware drum machines or drum brains are a good option. You can program MIDI in your DAW, send it to the external drum hardware, audio back out into your DAW. Should be way better than programming directly on the drum hardware and opens your options to drum brains which have no native programming interface but potentially give better sound options.

9. bludog

bludog

Apr 3, 2012
    Brooklyn 11217
    If you're into vintage analog drum machines, check out the Funk Box app for any iO device. A bunch of great sounds and some ability to customize and export.

10. if you're just tinkering around there are some good drum machine apps. i'm on Android & use RD3 & Electrum. cheap, simple & great for noodling out ideas. if you record them on a DAW you'll notice the BPM counts drift a bit from one measure to the next.

Lots of old drum machines floating around & drum loop software to play with on the pc.
    i recently picked up an Octatrack which is a beast but that's way overkill for what you're looking for.

11. The_Beast

The_Beast

May 2, 2009
    NY
    If you don't want to break the bank, a cheaper keyboard will work. I have a Yamaha keyboard that has 40+ styles of drum beats & you can change the tempo. Rock, Ballad, Gospel, Jazz, Blues, etc. I plug it into a little 20w bass amp, pick a beat & go!

12. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I have a real interest in the Beat Buddy, which is taking forever to get to the Kickstarter stage. Maybe it's overkill, but the idea of having a flexible drum machine on my pedal board with some realtime functionality that I can operate with my feet is very intriguing.

13. or a Roland RC-3 pedal loaded with your favorite drum loops.

14. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I use EZ Drummer but it's a software that integrates into your DAW.
    Got a friend who uses a Boss unit of some kind and it's pretty amazing for a hardware unit.

15. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Great suggestions guys. For economy sake I'm going to give some of the apps a go to see if they might do the trick.

16. Yools

Yools

Jul 24, 2009
    Deepinaharta, TX
    If you're interested in a computer software option, you should check out the Hydrogen drum machine
    http://www.hydrogen-music.org/hcms/ program. It's free and really easy to use, but also has a lot of options for advanced users.

17. Steven Slate II. I had an Alesis SR18 and SR16's before. I prefer SS over BFD2 even.:cool:

The drum machines I used were like total pieces of junk compared to how awesome Steven Slate sounds...for "real" drum sounds.

18. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Right now I'm using an SM57, a five gallon plastic bucket, and a smaller metal bucket...

Subbed for better options...

19. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Korg Volca Beats

not the most versatile, but easily the most intuitive, warmest sounding and grooviest little drum machine i've ever used.

the sounds get IMMENSE through pedals.

20. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    EZDrummer by Toontrack if you're working on a computer (or just jamming along to your monitors). It's, ummm, E-Z, sounds great, and there are lots of extension MIDI files for the application.