1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you use for playing vocals in a band?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by dave120, Aug 29, 2005.

  1. dave120


    Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    Well my current band is now in the process of searching for a new singer (the one we had didn't work out due to reliability issues). I guess it's better that he left now before we really started playing out with this particular group. Our old singer had a PA that he used when we practiced.

    So what acceptable substitutes are there for someone to sing through so he can be heard when we practice at normal playing volume? Right now when we've been auditioning people we've had to plug a mic into an old guitar amp (which had to be CRANKED to hear anything) and that creates big feedback issues sometimes so they can't move very much. We don't really have the money for a whole PA system right now, so what else really works for practicing? We never even used the PA our old singer had besides to practice because there was always house PA's.

    Any auggestions?
  2. Droog


    Aug 14, 2003
    Save your pennys for a PA, there really is not a substitute. Spend $1.5k on some Peavey stuff and you will be set for a practice PA. Used stuff will get you more for your buck too.

    You may be able to swing it with a cheap mixer, a two channel little guy, and a cheap low wattage power amp bridged in mono and then a single 12 or 15" cabinent.

    Check this out, its mostly crap, but it would get you by:

    JBL JRX115

    Gem Sound XP-350

    Crappy little Behringer mixer

    Then add another 100-150 or so for stands and cables. Hell thats less than 700, your singer won't sound great, but it will be much better than a guitar amp.
  3. I agree, there is no substitute for a PA. My band's PA is an old 100 watt Acoustic powered mixer with some joke speakers that my former youth pastor gave to us for helping him out with stuff over the summer. We use a Shure 58 and a stand that someone found somewhere.

    The total monetary investment here is only about $200, although you probably won't find free speakers. Although our PA is old, noisy, and doesn't sound too great, it really beats the hell out of the guitar amp we used to use. Nearly any random old gear you throw together should be an improvement.
  4. Joe P

    Joe P

    Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    This JBL is a SUPER-sounding little PA cab. ..And remember: there's no reason you need TWO of them! One is plenty for very professional, high-quality vocal monitoring.

    Also - I'm not sure about this, but if it's just for one singer to monitor himself, then I think JBL's small, self-powered 'Eon' series has a switchable line-/mic- level input, so you can just plug a mic right into one and go!

    For minimum feedback, of course, it's best to have an EQ too.

  5. A powered wedge monitor isn't a bad idea either, or just getting wedges instead of mains if it's just for practices. No need to spend on nice mains if the idea is only for vocal monitoring.
  6. Droog


    Aug 14, 2003
    Absolutely, I forgot about the Eons. Though I would still recomend a mixer inbetween mic and amp.

    You guys are right about wedges, I was thinking for housepartys and stuff, but for practice an actual monitor makes a lot difference. Get one of each. Or find some of those cabs that can do both, like the Eons. They are kinda spendy though.