Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what do you use for your pedalboards?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i think in the near future i'm gonna finally get some effects pedals. i was wondering what you guys use for your pedal boards? do you buy one online, or do you make one, like nail them to a board of wood. haha, thanks.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Starting tomorrow, I will be using a Pedaltrain.

http://www.pedaltrain.com/

[​IMG]

Musician's Fiend had them on an insane deal last week, $79.99, so I ordered one.

Now they are $99.99, which is still cheaper than most places. Some places are charging $169 + shipping.

3. plumby1

plumby1

Aug 21, 2004
    i made mine. it lux like ^^that one with the pedals onit. just made outa wood.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Furman SP-8 powered pedalboard
    I had/have a pedaltrain also, it just wasn't quite big enough for me.

5. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    I use one from Rondo Music. suits my needs for $39.99

6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    As do I.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm getting an ATA case made when I get the money where the end and top lifts off. I figure this way I get the dimensions I need (big)

:)

8. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I put my pedals on a board and mounted it inside the back lid of my rack. The whole thing just stays wired. I will take a pic later.

9. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    how strong are the CNB boards from rondo? i really want to get one but i dont want to have to worry too much about it breaking.

10. I use the SKB PS-25. It's plastic, flimsy, the screws fall out, and has a gig bag that doesn't protect anything. I overpaid for it and I hate it.

Thanks for making me relive my pain. :crying:

11. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i just got mine, so i have no horror stories to tell about it. i believe it is mostly plastic. i figure that its cheap enough that if i smash it then i can get a new one, but i am quite anal about my equipment and dont let it get damaged. the chances of accidental damage are low enough that i dont consider it too risky to have a pedal board made from plastic.

12. I thought they were made of aluminum...since the first sentence in their websites' description says, "made of lightweight, durable aluminum."

Sure they feel a little flimsy, but at $39, you really can't beat it. Besides, when you're stepping on your pedals, they don't have to be sturdy. The stage has to be sturdy.

With my SKB I can feel the board 'squish' because it is poorly made.

13. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA

14. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001

it might be a sandwiched material but the outside of mine is plastic. the corners are aluminum though...hmmm.

i have no complaints with mine. i did have to go and edit my previous post since i left the word "no" out of the first sentence because i cant type to save my life.

15. I'm cheap and use 1/2" plywood cut to the dimensions of a cheap keyboard bag. I paint it, put rubber feet on it and use double stick mounting tape to affix my efx and power supply.

16. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Here's one for ya, my mom gave me an old Samsonite carry-on suitcase she found (you know, the old school hard plastic ones) and I went to town.

Ripped out the innards, a black spray paint job, a piece of plywood cut to lay inside, some rubber feet off an old amp, and the hinge pins popped out and replaced with slip pins in order to take the lid completely on and off quick. A power strip with wall warts fits perfectly under the front of the platform (with a few holes drilled for the plugs to come up through) not to mention propping it up at a good angle for foot action.

My wife made a cool looking pillow to glue into the lid so when it's closed and carried, everything stays put.

Total cost, zero. However, that's the score it get's from one to ten in the "looks" department though, too.

edit - I decided I'm not cheap, I'm thrifty!
    [​IMG]

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Right now it's a shoebox. Nike to be exact.

18. I made a plywood board with carpet glued onto it, and with velcro strips on the pedals. Goes into a hardcase stuffed with foam. Cheap and easy to make.

19. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Yeah me too. It cost me only about 30 euro for the laquer on the wood (laminated teak it's called I believe), the wood itself, screws and the thick AC wire. Way less expensive then those 'custom' things. When you want another pedal, you gotta buy another case, because the previous doensn't fit good enough anymore... too expensive in my opinion

20. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I bought the SKB 25 used for a good price. It's been good for me. I shuttle it between bands and gigs, no problem. The case/cover is a bit of a tight fit, but overall I'm happy with it.