Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what do you use on your Cirrus

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by supernaut, Aug 28, 2004.

1. I have a Peavey Cirrus 5 and am looking to try some new strings on it. I usually go with DR highbeams 45 - 125, but I'm curious to see what other people have tried on them and if anyone has found a set of strings that really stands out on the cirrus.

2. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I actually like the Peavey Cirrus strings on mine. I use DR Lowriders on my Spector and Rotosound flats on my p bass, but I like the Cirrus on my Cirrus..imagine that ;) I wonder who makes them for Peavey?

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm using D'Addario Slowound SW2000-SL sets on mine until I run out of the ones that I have around the house. After that I don't know what I'm going to do since they have been discontinued. :(

4. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Rudy Sarzo swears by Dean Markley SR-2000's on all of his Peavey Cirrus basses (4, 5 & 6 strings).

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I used Highbeams on mine mostly, but I got really good results with DR Fatbeams on it as well. Other than that, I used the Cirrus strings on it once in awhile.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Cirrus strings sound good, and are great if you want a lower tension string.

If you like bright, Dean Markley SR2000s and D'Addario Prisms are great. That's what I usually use. Heard a rumor that the Prisms are discontinued.:(

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The decision to get rid of the Prisms happened around the same time that they decided to phase out the Slowound line. :rollno:

8. But the new ProSteels should be the ones to replace Prisms. According to those who beta tested those, they're pretty good.

9. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I've used DR Lowriders And Warwick Black Labels. The Dr's sound pretty darn good IMO. But I'm gonna string it up with some TI Jazz flatwounds next. We'll see how it goes...

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Let's hope so because as much as D'Addario claims that the XLs sound the same as Slowounds, they don't.