Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you use on your MTD 535?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sean Baumann, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I'm looking to try something different on my MTD 535. I kind of like the the initial high end ring of the MTD strings for slap, but they go south pretty quickly for me. The MTD strings may not quite be right for my "rockish" type band either. I must sweat alot. All suggestions welcome.

2. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I think you really need to decide for yourself. Every string sounds a little different, and it's complicated even more by different basses, amps, speakers, eq settings and playing technique.

It's a pain in the ass, and gets a bit expensive buying strings, but if you can afford an MTD-535, you should be able to afford to experiment with strings.

Some of my favorites have been D'Addario and Fodera.

jd

3. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    The MTD 535 was pre-baby :). It is also a question of what will fit an MTD 535. Not only is it 35" scale, but the tuning pegs are quite a distance.

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Any "long scale" string shoud fit.

FYI: Fodera will make strings to order at no additional cost. You can choose material (steel or nickel) and specify exact length and gauge.

Jim D.

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've tried a number of different string sets on my MTD, but I found that the MTD brand stainless steels are best for this particular bass. I play funk, R & B, and pop covers, so I'm going for that bright sound. I've tried DRs, Laklands, GHS Supersteels, Ernie Balls, Ken Smith, but I always come back to the MTDs. They seem to be best suited for this bass, and for the tone and string tension that I'm looking for.

Most of my friends that play rock seem to prefer nickel strings. You might consider trying GHS Bass Boomers, or other nickel sets.

I find that any "long scale" set will fit the 35" scale and the MTD 535's headstock arrangement.

Also, if you not sure about the length fitting your 535, you can always ask the store salesman to take the E and A strings (strings with the longest distance from saddle to tuning key) out of the package and let you lay it along side your bass, just to make sure.

6. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Good Idea! Thanks. When I am finished the the MTD strings I have, probably 4 sets, I will go after another brand. I had forgotten that I order another couple sets a few weeks ago.