What do you use to carry your pedal board?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by parrott, Jan 3, 2004.

1. I've seen quite a few pictures of you people's pedal boards now (mostly while searching just now) and, while lots of them look home made, I've not seen anybody mention any way of carrying them. I suppose you could just pick them up as they are, and lay them on the seat of your car or something, but I'm gonna be using public transport with it, so I'm looking for ideas that'll survive rush hour congestion.

PS, it's just cos I've been quoted £100+ for a pro job, but not even full-flight-case strength. That's $150+, is that what I'm gonna have to pay if I go down that route, or am I being ripped off there?

Thanks in advance!
  2. on my pedalboard, I use a keyboard gig bag. I used a shelf though to make mine.
  3. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    FF do you have a model number? the keyboard gigbags around here are too long.

4. I'll try and find it, but it's really worn out.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    A refrigerator dolly ... naw, naw, naw.
  6. Like Freaky I use a keyboard gig bag for the board I use most, a medium synth size that's 30x14. I have a larger board that fits in a hollowed out generic bass case, but I haven't used it in years, too big too heavy.
  7. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I just finished making a pedal board that holds an EBS Octave, BOSS Chorus and a Sadowsky Preamp/DI. I picked up an EBS adaptor to power them, and it is cabled into an Ibanez daisy chain cable. The board is made of scrapped plywood, painted flat black. It will fit into a vinatge small suitcase for transporting. Just need to buy some 2 inch thick foam pads for front and back.
  8. That sounds just about perfect - I'm looking at a board of about 25" x 14". Where did you get it from, and how much was it?
  9. I've had it for years but I see keyboard bags for - bucks all the time at GC or even MF.
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I had a board built for me by NYC Pedalboards (nycpedalboards.com) for about $106 and it's perfect, self contained and works great!
  11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have an effect case.
    No transportation problems :)

12. Popped by the shop today, and ordered a professional one. £99. I'm quite happy with that, but it'll be a couple of weeks before it's done.

I'll post pics once it's done, and once my pedals are attached. Hopefully I'll get it before my next gig, and have enough time to get 'em all attached, and all that. Be soooooooo much easier.

Maybe then I'll hook up a cat to help move it, just like Jazz Ad..... ;) FWIW, how much did yours cost, Jazz Ad?
  13. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I use one of those black rolling carry-on style suitcases. Bought cheap at MallWart. has wheels and extendable handle and the extra pockets carry extensioncords, etc. I use the strap inside the case to hold the pedalboard down and some acoustical faom that I got free in packing material on the bottom and top of the board in the suitcase.
  14. PS, Jazz Ad, do you have two line selectors there?
  15. ...and allow me to be the first person to justify that joke with a response. :rolleyes:

My Grandpa built a case for mine and sent it to me for christmas... he did a magnificent job, but he's spent all his time retired from the US Core of Army Egineers building stuff in his workshop.
  16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I use a Pedal Train, which includes not only the board to mount your pedals to, but the case to carry it in. In my photo, below, you can just see the handle (the case is open for the shot). I am very happy with this arrangement, and it leaves room for additional chords, batteries, etc.

17. Mine's simply an alloy 6U 19" rack blanking plate with strips of velcro. Power is done via a Compaq laptop supply (about the size of 2 9v batteries, but chucks out 10V 1.5A which is plenty for at least 8 pedals) and a DC daisy-chain cable.

With the corners rounded off a little, it fits nicely into my old hard Samsonite mini suitcase with some foam pads and the rest of my cables, etc.
    Only problem is that i've run out of room! Will probably move my pedals to a rack shelf that i've got spare (19" square, with angled sides so that on the flat the whole thing angles back at you a bit - nice), but then i've gotta figure out how to transport it safely.

IMO pedals need a hardcase for transport...i've seen too many pedals go south after something fell on their soft home. Plus, it makes sense to protect items that, added up, often are worth considerably more than the plank in our hands.

Warwick make pedalboards in their Rockbag range, but man, so much $$ for such a poxy piece of cheaply made rubbish.
  18. Well I bought one of the new Boss BCB-60 pedalboard/carry cases. Got it populated with all thepedals I need and it has a built in power supply for all!

Also has stereo outputs if one of your pedals has a stereo output!

It fits Boss pedals really well, but I managed to squeeze the Sansamp BDDI in there too.
  19. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have a homemade one now (see pic), but I'm thinking about buying one of those padded, self-contained, powered things that are commonly sold on ebay and elsewhere.

Does anyone have any experience with them and are they worth a damn?

20. Well, they work OK, but they're (IMO) overpriced, badly made rubbish that still don't protect well enough (even with immense padding, drop an amp head or cabinet on one of these and watch your pedals crumble).

You also get the joy of (generally) only barrel-style DC plugs usually only running 9v, so they're not as usable for custom FX arrangements.