Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you use to clean your dirty bass? Here's what I do...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gwreid, Jul 30, 2005.

1. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    I thought I'd pass this tip along, I've tried this on a number of guitars and basses and it works better than anything else I've tried. While it's worked great for me, use this product only if you're sure it will work for you too, I take no blame if you screw up your instrument's finish. Hey, I'm not an attorney but I work for a law firm and that disclaimer is, well, just because.

I use Maguires auto paint cleaner and their best polish. Only glossy finishes of course. The cleaner will remove a lot of scuffs and clouding and the polish is the best. I just used it on the Lakland I bought from KJung (Review to follow.) and, although it started good, it's now quite spectacular. Even cleaned up the "Slap wear" that Ken had mentioned in his ad.

Has anyone else used this product or other non-instrument cleaners/polishes?

2. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    should i use Maguires " black magic wet tire shine" on my F basses Fretless ebony neck?

bwaha

3. thlayli

thlayli

May 8, 2005
    Cross Lanes, WV
    Clean... my bass?

Does not compute.

4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I just use a clean polishing cloth to wipe of any sweat or fingerprints after I play. As for any spots on the finish where I happen to touch the bass, that start to show wear, I don't worry about it. It's Mojo!

5. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    The cleaning I'm suggesting is to easily remove blemishes that potentially impact the price when you're selling or, in my recent case, spiffing up a used bass that you've just purchased. Amazing products my friends!!!

6. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Dishwasher, then I apply a liberal amount of turtle wax.

7. JoshB

JoshB A great man is always willing to be little. -RWE Supporting Member

Ditto...

when I'm doing a cleaning/set-up for a customer, I give them the option of a bunch of differant cleaners, I'll definatly try it on a bass sometime and see how it goes...

8. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Since Meguiar's makes cleaner and polish specifically for basses and guitars, that's what I use, and I find that line of products especially effective. It's sold jointly under their and Fender's brand.

9. Several of the guys on the Hamer board use Meguiar's products, also. I've been using some Fender spray bottle stuff but I'm going to check out the Meguiar's products.

10. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I just wipe my 6'er off every once and a while with a Swiffer to remove dust, and my fretless 4. They're non-gloss finishes, so no worries about fingerprints. I lemon oil my 6ers neck when I replace strings.

11. Pledge Multi-Surface wipes..... they work great and I don't need to look for a cloth. they work on wood(finished or not), chrome, glass,plastic.(what all the parts on a bass are made of).does'nt leave any residue or anything that needs to be rubbed out. and you just throw it away when your done..I still wipe the bass down when I'm done playin it with a Rickenbacker ;) polish cloth.but for the major cleaning,the wipes are it

12. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Maybe a little "traditional", but I follow Dan Ehrlewhine's guidance for maintaining fine instruments for all my basses:

Soft cloth
    Hot breath (which is pure distilled water)
    Martin spray polish

And for the tough stuff:

Pure naptha in a rag wrapped around a cotton ball

Always remember: the hardest part about cleaning is getting the dirt on the bass to want to jump to the rag. That requires heat. If your rag is too cold, the dirt will jump back on the bass and you'll just be pushing it around.

Also, take care not to toss naptha-soaked rags in a heap. Douse with water b/c they can ignite.

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    In the past I used furniture polish. Over the last twenty odd years, I have used Dr. Duck's Axwax and String Lube. I also use Kyser's Dr. Stringfellow for the strings and fretboard. I plan to pick up Ken Smith's wax soon to see how it works.

14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Glasses cleaner and a glasses cleaning cloth...For glasses I use my t-shirt.

15. lexxmexx

lexxmexx

Apr 7, 2008
    The Meguiar's NXT All metal polish works like a charm on tarnished chrome tuners and bridges.

16. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    I treat my strings with GHS Fast Fret, and for general cleaning, I keep a Shamwow tucked into my gig bag. :D

17. On my basses that's painted,I guess I'm old-school.Lemon Pledge.On basses such as my Carvin Koa wood bass,I use lemon oil.I use lemon oil on all my ebony/rosewood fingerboards.Now on my '61 J-Bass,the finish is worn off significantly.I just wipe it down with an ever-so-slightly damp cloth.What do you people use on basses where the paint is worn off,to the bare wood??Any suggestions??

18. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I use Virtuoso cleaner, followed by Virtuoso polish. In the past I've also used Gibson's spray-on polish.

19. Disappear

Disappear

May 9, 2008
    Zombie thread is zombied.

20. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    A Brillo pad and Clorox.