1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you use to power your Ampeg SVP-Pro?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass 45, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Bass 45

Bass 45 Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Hello. I am a longtime user of Ampeg amplifiers. Over the years, I have mostly used an SVT-2 or an SVT-4 at my gigs.

They both have tone and features that work for me - but I have been considering something a little different.

It is fairly common for me to use an Upright Bass and a bass guitar on a gig - so for convenience I have been considering a two channel bass rig.

I recently picked up an Ampeg Portabass 800 (two channels - up to 800 watts @ 2 0hms) - and although it sounds very good (with a good speaker cabinet) - it is not quite in the same league as the SVT models.

I guess I just prefer tubes and graphic eq's.

So I put a bid on a couple of SVP-Pro preamps on Ebay. I was surprised that I won both as my bids were not very high. I have received one and had a bit of time to mess with it.

I plugged it into the signal path of the Portabass 800 (into the -12db instrument input) and it really made that amp come alive. I was playing it through my Pro Neo 410HLF and I could not ask for a better range and quality of tones (I have not compared it side by side to anything yet).

So now I am considering all sorts of options. I think I can use one SVP-Pro as a second channel with the SVT-4, or use or two with the Portabass 800, or get a power amp that ideally would be light weight, two rack spaces and $400.00 or less (used or new) and sell the Portabass 800.

I am finally starting to consider weight as an issue - but I still cannot imagine selling my SVT-2 or 4 because I have had so much trouble-free history with them - but if I found a pre/power rig that sounds great and is reliable and light weight, one of the SVT's may have to go in the future.

Thanks for any input.

2. vegedge

vegedge

Jul 14, 2012
    souls.

3. Thijs V

Thijs V

Feb 17, 2004
    Netherlands
    This is as if i wrote this myself.
    I was in exact the same situation altough i did not owned a svt-4.
    I played for years on a SVT II pro
    I bought a SVT 7 pro and tried the svp on the power amp but to be honest i did not hear much difference with the pre amp of the svt 7.
    I also had the pn410hlf (neo) but sold it and bought a 410 heritage because the 410 neo had no real low end and tends to be a little boomy in the low mids and the heritage is only about 12 pound heavier wich is acceptable for me.
    I also had a Micro VR with the matching cab wich is probably perfect for double bass.
    Then i tried the micro vr on the heritage and decided that that was the best mach for me ever
    I even do like it more then my svt II pro;)
    I'm selling my svt 7 also
    It has to much low mid for my taste wich you can not filter out without cutting the real lows too.
    Just for your intrest.

4. Electricity is the preferred power source.

5. Peavey IPR.

6. Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Thank you for sharing your experiences. I was also disappointed with the lack of low frequencies from my Pro Neo 410HLF when it was new - but it seems after a break in period , it is sounding better and goes lower. I also have an SVT 410HLF here to compare it too and of course the Neo does not go as low as that, but it goes low enough now.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hmm, the PN410HLF sounds up my alley.

:D

I think any of your plans are cool

8. Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Thank you for your advice folks. I went ahead and ordered a Carvin HD1000 power amp. $279.00 -- 1000 watts @ 4 ohms and 9 pounds. It is coming this Tuesday - I'll let you know how it sounds.

9. Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    I think you would love it Jimmy. I would not have been able to afford one new - but I scored a damaged/unused one from a music store online and I was able to repair it. I think I paid about $450.00 for it.

10. Holy cow, you yanks have it made! What does it do at 4 ohm? You may have to be very careful to not blow your cab with that beastie.

11. Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    I think I will mostly be using it with my Ampeg Pro Neo 410HLF which is an 8 ohm cab rated to handle up to 850 watts. The Carvin can push 550 watts mono bridged @ 8 ohms (which should be plenty for me), and 1000 watts mono bridged with a 4 ohm load. I was mistaken earlier when I stated 1000 watts at 2 ohms - it is 4. I will edit that post.

And yes, I do feel lucky having access to all this great gear over here.

12. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I have an SVT-IIP and plug it into the FX return of my Bass 400 (6x6550). I wouldnt plug it into the front end of any of the heads I own.

13. Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    Yeah, that is probably a better idea.

14. The rule of thumb actual low end power handling is more like half the advertised thermal rating. Not safe for 550W to be unleashed without keeping an ear on it.

15. BullHorn

BullHorn

Nov 23, 2006
    Israel
    I got the PN410HLF yesterday and after playing through it in my bedroom for a few minutes, that was exactly my impression. I'll have to haul it to rehearsal this week to determine if it also has that characteristic when playing with a band at stupidly loud volumes. I might have to replace it with a SVT410HLF or a pair of SVT410HE?.....