Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you use with your Clarus (Focus)...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Badmuthaplucka, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Badmuthaplucka

Badmuthaplucka Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.
    I have noticed that most Clarus owners use some kind of preamp to augment thier amp. I'm curious to see what everyone ells uses, whether it be an onboard or outboard preamp.

I have a Clarus and use it along with an MXR M-80 Bass Driver preamp into a Music Man Audiophile 2x10. I love this combo! Punchy as hell, does a decent low B reproduction and sounds great in a live band.

So, what do you use?

2. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Hate to disappoint you but I've owned a Clarus and now own a Focus and a New Yorker and have never felt the need to use any pre-amp. I like what Rick has built into the amps just fine!

3. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    An R. Keeley-modified Boss Blues Driver when I wanna get nasty.
    Otherwise nothing. It Just Sounds Good.

4. Badmuthaplucka

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.
    Acording to your profile you use a Kubicki, which if memory servers me correct, has a very fine active pre-amp. No?

5. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    It does, although I keep the eq knobs flat (which is off on the Kubicki) and generally select the 2nd active setting. For my string bass, I make adjustments to the Focus eq to fix room problems. This involves rolling off either bass or mid depending on room acoustics. I also play a 65-p bass and I leave this with the treble roll-off knob turned all the way up and generally keep the amp eq flat. This amp has tons of head room and puts out incredibly clear and punchy sound. Combined with the Schroeder, it is LOUD and clear as hell.

6. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Anybody use the Focus with a superlight cab to make an extremely portable rig?

7. Badmuthaplucka

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.
    This is the kind of info I was looking for more or less. ;)

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    For DB, I just use the 2-channel pre built into the Focus 2. It sounds great.

I love taking mine out with just an EA VL108. It looks like a book setting on top of a lunchbox. :D