1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What do you use your (µ)POG for?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Right now it mostly stays on these settings for phattening up my tonality to catastrophic seismicness:

Dry: Full on
    Sub: 1 o'clock
    Oct Up: off

What you use yours for?

2. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    i use it for polyphonic octaves :smug:

3. 250GBsOfAwesome

250GBsOfAwesome

Jul 11, 2008
    I just like the color.

4. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I use it with my Hematoma only. Sub full, suboctave 3o'clock, octave up 11o'clock.

5. Marshbass

Marshbass

Dec 7, 2006
    Australia
    I use it in a pretty similar way to OptimusPrime except with a Fulltone Bassdrive. I also have been using it with my Bassballs - nice and dirty/funky!

6. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    The only its been used in a band setting is for big organ tones. Turn on the POG and the messdrive, and just let it sustain out in all its octave-goodness.

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Smartass :D :p

LOL. It is actually a very nice red....

8. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    I use it before my blowtorch with
    dry: 12 o'clock
    down: 9 o'clock
    up: 12 o'clock.

It creates a really fat fuzzed out sound!

9. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I use it as a splitter (ie, i use both outs) so my pog is set to unity octave-up and zero everything else.

10. i use it with my delay for some awesome sounds.

11. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I use it for Toccata et Fuga. (big POG) :smug:

I have yet to master the piece, but the parts I can play sound so cool. I'm thinking of adding a "rotary speaker effect to it.

12. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thank you, eyvindwa, for mentioning WHERE. There's a big difference whether you put POGs BEFORE or AFTER distortion.

I use mine AFTER.

Joe

13. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Thanks for some of the ideas :D

14. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I'm really considering putting mine in a loop with my Hematoma, because that's all I use it with.

15. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I use mine either into a filter for synthy destruction, or into a distortion box to make my guitarist feel redundant.:D

16. after so it doesn't track very well? spose if you put it before most distortion will just clip

17. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    LOL :D Nice :ninja:

18. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    No - it tracks great!

I'd say that this property of 'tracking' really only applies to the "binary" "frequency divider" type of octaver (OC-2 type), where you get glitches and worbles. That is not an issue with the POGs.

The main reason I always use it AFTER distortion is because of the killer-fat sounding resonant Low Pass the (original) POG has. Even If you don't use the octaves - just the 'dry' signal. When you put the filter switch into the 'high-Q' position (position '3'), AFTER a distortion: Oh baby. Y'don't even know how your distortions can sound, until you've heard'em through a real-live RESONANT LOW PASS.

If I didn't have the LP (as in µPOG), I'd be more inclined to use it before.

Joe

19. Working on that (with my HOG) for our Halloween show - it's a tough one for me :meh: