What do you use your fretless for?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by d_rock211, Dec 2, 2002.

1. d_rock211

d_rock211 Guest

Apr 29, 2002
    Kansas City
    I recently got a Cort Curbow fretless. Right now I only play in what I like to call a 'punk fusion' band, and got the fretless mainly for personal satisfaction...i.e. playing for myself in my living room. I did try a couple of our songs out on the fretless during a crappy gig at a house party but it just didn't sound right to me.

Anyone else try out a fretless in a rock/punk setting?
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I play rock to R&B to blues, etc all with my fretless.

Actually I haven't 'fretted' a bass note at all in about 5 years ;)
  3. downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    I used a fretless in an rock/emo/hardcore/metal band, and it works pretty well, but the fretted basses just rock out better than an old fretless p-bass.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I play everything on my fretless. About 80% of the time I play it at church. But I have used it on 50's/60's/70's rock, country, ballads, hard rock and metal.
  5. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I have 9 basses, and not a fret to be found. Rock, Alt, Blues, Jazz.
  6. Jazz and blues.

Oh yeah, and to baffle guitarists.
  7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    METAL? wow, never judge a book by its cover.......sweet.....
    now all you need is long hair and a "burnout dude" Way of speech!:D Your slowly on your way!
  8. just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    I tried it in a punk like setting to and it didn't sound great to me either, but I need to get new strings on it, I still have flats, and I think it will sound good once I get some halfwounds or rounds on there.
  9. i used mine in a metal band for a long time
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've been playing metal since I was 16.:) 20 years!
  11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Sweet mother of holy junk.:cool:
  12. Level 4243

Level 4243

Dec 2, 2002
    I've used my fretlesses over the years for a multitude of musical formats. I mostly use it for more "woody" or atmospheric material. I also really like the sound of a fretless ran clean but combined with a second channel going into a distorted talkbox. Very full and expressive.
  13. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm playing in a Blues trio, and a Bill Frissell-y trio and I use my fretless basses for both bands. I used to play in some pretty heavy bands in college, and I used fretless then, too. I've even starting using this 8 string in the jazz trio.

I'll play the normal bass strings for part of the song, and then bring in the octave strings for solos, choruses, strangeness.... :D Currently working on a pretty cool version of Eleanor Rigby with a lot of droning effects.

All I'm waiting on now is my 6 string fretless Curbow with lightwaves that'll be showing up early next year to use with my VBass.

I guess you could say I like fretless basses. ;)
  14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Bass player from Catch 22 uses it very effectively in a ska setting. I've tried it on occasion in a punk/indie type thing, just haven't found the right sound for it yet.

bassmonkee...is that 8 lined? I can tell the 6 is, and it looks like the 8 is, but I can't tell for sure. I hope I get to see for myself at the next ATL gathering.
  15. shon

Nov 27, 2002
    Healdsburg, CA!!
    All about da Jaco! Jazz, Blues, Avant Garde(probably spelled that wrong), Shreddin, a little of everything. I like to make it as (if not more) useful then my fretted bass (which I might be currently selling). But yeah, I play a lot of Jaco's work on my fretless. That's where I got the idea to take out the frets too but I won't get into it...
  16. I just got an MIA Jazz fretless, and I use it for everything I play. It might pass though. It doesnt sound like my Sterling.. I didnt think it would either. But I use it for the pop/rock I play now. Works fine and makes us sound even more "non standard". Its all about how you play it really.
  17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
  18. jbay

May 23, 2002
    Actually there are a couple of very good fretless metal bassists :) One example is Sean Malone of Cynic/Gordion Knot/Aghora...
  19. bassrebelpr

bassrebelpr Guest

Dec 4, 2002
    Aguadilla, PR
    I use it for metalcore, traditional ska, funk and reggae