What do you use your Line 6 M9 for?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kwesi, Nov 5, 2011.

1. I know there are plenty of M9 threads floating around but none quite give me what I'm looking for. I'm just curious as to how you guys use your M9s. Personally, I'm only using mine for pitch shifting and modulation so I'm kinda thinking about dumping it and getting a(nother) Nova Modulator and a POG2 in it's place. Maybe hearing other ideas might give me a reason to keep it, haha.

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Selling it to Kwesi.

;)

To me, the M9 had some definite high points: Fantastic looper, great pitchshifting (with an expression pedal it was easily better than a Whammy), tons of good delay options, very usable reverb and solid modulation. For synthy stuff I especially dug the Vibrato setting. I was meh on the filters but I did find some that worked very well for me.

My initial plan was to basically set up a synth board and then have the M9 handle all modulation (phaser, chorus, flanger, ring mod, vibrato, trem, reverb, pitchshifting, delay) as well as looping/sampling.

I don't really have any complaints in terms of how it did those jobs but in the end (1) I just don't use much modulation, a big deal given the size of the M9 (2) looping is incredibly fun and a good practice tool but I rarely use it in a band context and (3) in the end I'm just not a big knob twiddler or multieffects guy.

3. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    Didnt use the M9 enough to justify the real estate or price. However, pitchshifting is so good that with the addition of the buit in tuner the M5 was a no brainier.

4. Footbutt

Footbutt

Aug 11, 2010
    Pickerington, OH
    like many others, i thought about getting rid of my M9.
    but BOY am i glad i held on to it!

my M9 layout is as follows:

B1: PitchGlide +12 B2: Analog Delay B3: OctoVerb
    A1: Bass Octaver A2: TubeDrive A3: ParticleVerb (100% wet)

i loop some ambient stuff and use the HALF SPEED setting to get some crazy high pitch stuff that sings with the guitar.

i found that for playing shows and gigs, the M9 is ALL i need.
    i own a POG2, Eventide Space & Timefactor, and other pedals, but i use them in the studio when i have all the time in the world to set up and play with the settings.

(...i think i'd still use an M9 for delays and verb to replace a long-dead DL4...)

5. behndy

behndy Inactive

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    looper, octaver, delays (love having an easy tap tempo, being able to stack three delays, and having save spots), trem until the Cygnet 2 comes out and maybe 4 or 5 other silly noise things. the ring mod is actually kinda fun. i'm unhappy with some of the things you CAN'T control with the expression pedal, and REALLY unhappy that it's a goofy TR cable instead of a TRS, but it more than justifies it's space on the board.

6. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Traded my M9 for an M13. Traded that for some $$ and wound up with an M5. It is my octaver, my Chorus and my Tuner.

J!

7. My tuner is not that great on my low B which is one lame thing.

However, besides that I remain happy with my M9. It is my testing ground for lots of ideas that would cost me a too much to impliment otherwise.

8. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I use it mostly for chorus, octave, and some compression. I almost sold it but I think I will hang onto it and use it more in my new band.

9. I like having my M9 for modulation and pitch shifting, like I said earlier, but what has me hesitating is the fact that it has a bunch of effects that I love but never actually use. The idea of having another reverb before my Timeline or being able to stack delays sounds awesome but I don't use them so I figure I can't really miss them, right? I want a really solid ambient section on my board and usually on the M9 I'm only using the chorus and pitch shifting (octave up) so I figure it'd be nicer to have dedicated versions of those effects. The Nova Modulator for dual modulation and the POG2 so I can actually pitch shift chords and stuff. Arrggh, I just dunno.

10. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    When I'm being practical: Octave, modulations, whammy, some synth and delay.
    When I'm messing around at home: Everything. Sonic landscapes are fun.

11. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I used to use my DL4 A LOT when I had it and used THAT for its mod a lot when I wasn't looking for delay.

I always wanted more options for my DL4 and you can stack all sorts of effects. I don't have a flanger, chorus, or synths, and I really miss having a great delay and a great looper. I'd get ALL of that and loads more with an M9 if I'd want it.

If you don't use the expression pedal I recommend you start. That opened the DL4 up to complete flexibility...from one setting to another sweeping through the dials between. Especially useful for rhythmic delay, playing the offsets (dotted quarter to eighth notes for different parts of a phrase...super groovy)

Thinking about that and how it probably works for the entire stageset, not just the one effect, I have to wonder why I'm not saving for it right now.

Here's to your quest.

12. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Octaver, reverb, delays, light chorus, a leslie effect, octave up/fifth up with distortion. One interesting thing I found was to use the parametric EQ and set the expression pedal for a dark sound with the pedal down, and a bright sound with the pedal up.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021