1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What do you want in a bass video

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by AndrewFord, Aug 23, 2012.

1. AndrewFord

AndrewFord

Aug 11, 2012
    Los Angeles area
    Endorsing Artist: Line 6, TC Electronics, Yamaha, Elixir Strings
    What would you like to see, or see more of in bass instructional videos.

2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Hi-quality audio and photography than enable me to easily hear, and see, what the demonstrator is doing.

A qualified instructor who knows how to pace and organize presentations.

An instructor with top-notch presentation and speaking skills.

Subtitles and other on-screen graphics that enhance understanding.

An instructor who respects my time.

Video labels that are succinct and straightforward; I want to know what the content is before I watch.

In other words, something prepared by a professional, for professionals.

3. Boobs.

4. If you are looking for a template I would point you to any of the newer videos Scott Devine has made. Both Scott and Ed Friedland understands how to write and present instructional material.

Spend some time looking at TV commercials - each scene is not over 4 seconds long, most last only 2 to 3 seconds. The car commercials keep your attention by having someone walking and talking - no dead air - something happening something changing all the time.

Those three second scene changes presents a challenge on an instructional video, I would suggest inserting split screen shots of the sheet music, fretting hand, etc.

Good luck and have fun.

5. AndrewFord

AndrewFord

Aug 11, 2012
    Los Angeles area
    Thanks but no, not looking for a template, just curious, it seems like there are a lot of critics, expectations and opinions, I have my own ideas already, some of you sound more experienced, I was more so looking for the students perspective

6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    +1 on everything Jazzdog said, plus....

1. I want every explanation of a what or a how to be accompanied by a clear explanation of why.

2. I want to be able to relate the content directly to what I already know or do, e.g., how it extends, or corrects, or offers an alternative perspective on my existing knowledge. Of course, the author of an online video has no way of anticipating what I personally do and don't know -- that's one of the benefits of a private teacher, of course -- so in part this is a matter of choosing the right videos to watch rather than something that video instructors should be expected to do. That said, though, some instructors are really good at anticipating what many or most viewers probably do and don't know, and then making the explicit connection: for example, by saying "most instructors teach X this way," or "most people learn X this way....," and then going on to say "but here's a different way of thinking about it...."

For me personally, given my particular level of ability and knowledge, Scott Devine's lessons are perfect. I've never met the guy, and probably never will, but it is almost eerie sometimes how well he anticipates exactly where I'm at and where he can take me from there. Someone else might have the same effect for you, so your goal should be to find that person.

7. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Personally, I don't like close up's of the neck when one is playing - it doesn't seem to help me. Tab is better.

Lessons going from imbecile level to advanced jazz and classical at easy increments. That should do it.

8. thumpslap

thumpslap

Jun 6, 2012
    Lessons in order by number. 12345678, mostly i see grab bag videos,

9. wishface

wishface

Jan 27, 2012
    Inspiration.

Tony Levin.

10. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    This is all good to know! Thanks, guys!

11. redname

redname

Apr 30, 2010
    pole dancers :p

12. AndrewFord

AndrewFord

Aug 11, 2012
    Los Angeles area
    By the way, most of you probably know but Roy Vogt has one of the most comprehensive and well thought out instructional dvd packages I have seen. I have personally reviewed it as a professional and experienced bass instructor and found it to be very impressive

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, boobs.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Roy is the real deal and is as talented a teacher as he is a player, but his instructional videos have no boobs. Just so you know...

15. AndrewFord

AndrewFord

Aug 11, 2012
    Los Angeles area
    Oh, well I guess one should only get it if they want to improve their bass playing, not if they are looking for something they can find anywhere on the internet.....comedians, I love it

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Wow, you sound like a lot of fun at funerals.

:D

17. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    + 1 on everything bassbubble 11 said.

18. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Thanks for your support, everyone!