What do you wish existed?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DoctorZee, Sep 3, 2020.

1. I’ve been on a little meandering thought path, and you’re invited. Is there anything (bass related) that you wish existed? A product that no one makes? A service that no one provides?

Who knows? If you post something, maybe someone else can point you toward the thing you never knew existed. Or one of us goes on to invent something successful.

2. I’ll start. A music accessory subscription service. Kinda like those monthly clothing boxes you can order online. You select your instrument, and a box of picks, strings, capo, etc. shows up each month.

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It already exists but Musicman style truss wheels should be on every bass.

Laklandfan, Plake, ZedLepp and 59 others like this.
  4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    A reliable tuner designed exclusively for bass. I see a lot of Boss TU-2 and TU-3 tuners on pedal board photos posted here, and I've heard folks wax poetic about the Peterson stuff. But to me, it all seems like "electric guitar stuff that also works great for bass guitar." Are we such a small percentage of the overall market that we don't deserve something better? Or is plus/minus 30 cents now deemed "good enough" for bass?

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    A live music scene.

slapshot, fhm555, motornap and 119 others like this.
  6. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    TRVTH.png

7. Genuine honest question: does it matter? A circuit designed for bass frequencies would detect pitch more accurately than one designed for guitar frequencies? I have a handheld tuner with a bass/guitar switch, but never noticed any real difference.

monkeyxx, jdh3000, 31HZ and 5 others like this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

Water-tower-Thinkstock copyB.jpg

9. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    It's a valid question. I guess it matters to some folks, including me. I own a variety of tuners, none of which seem to play very well with bass. Additionally, here's a TB'er who's in search of an Accurate tuner for a 5-string, suggesting perhaps that some tuners aren't optimized to work with lower frequencies. Lastly, is frequency range merely a marketing tactic? To wit: Why did Roland/Boss create a GT-1B Bass Multi-Effects Processor if the GT-1 Guitar Multi-Effects Processor would've worked equally well for bass?

10. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Although these things exist, I would like them to be standard.

1) All basses with active electronics should have easy-access battery compartments, so that if you need to change a battery in a hurry, you don't have to muss and fuss with screwdrivers.

1a) Even better would be rechargeable battery packs that I can plug in, like Fishman has optional for their Fluence stuff. Eliminate the need to constantly spend money on 9v batteries.

1b) The Fluence battery pack has a low battery indicator. Why can't all active basses have a low battery indicator?

Laklandfan, 2tek, Dave Neal and 24 others like this.
  11. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    Declaminator pedals. Plug in for the total clam-free musical experience! No need for practice! Never again the embarrassing dirty looks from the BL! Can't make that reach? You can now!!

monkeyxx, lizardking837, Beej and 8 others like this.
  12. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Oh, man, a few are painfully obvious based on TB threads...

1) An effect pedal that makes an electric bass sound exactly like an upright
    2) An effect pedal that makes a cheap solid state amp sound like an SVT.
    3) Lightweight, portable but LOUD bass amp for busking, with 4 hours' runtime and handles a low B gracefully.

13. deernaes

deernaes Guest

Feb 1, 2012
    A time machine...

Saint70, hollowman, jefff100 and 17 others like this.
  14. Eighthnoterock

Eighthnoterock Supporting Member

May 25, 2018
    Lynden Washington
    A pot of gold at the end of the rainbow...

15. Peteyboy

Peteyboy

Apr 2, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I have a whole slew of ideas in development. I teamed up with an engineer who has a 3D printer and he's cooking up prototypes for me as we speak. Silver lining of these Covid days has been that I've been given the time to daydream again. It's been awhile.

16. xI Jonathan Ix

xI Jonathan Ix

Jan 8, 2020
    Florida
    I saw a similar question in a general pedalboard forum and I thought “these people won’t know what I’m talking about” but, TalkBass will!

I want the most ridiculously versatile preamp/DI made of the best parts of other ones.

Gimme a tube inside like the Shift Line Olympics MKIII with the overdrive switch.
    +
    The Broughton Messenger’s HPF/LPF, EQ section, and seperate DI and Line Out volume knobs.
    +
    A smart set of I/O meant to serve just about anything a bass player could want (The Subway+ comes to mind)
    +
    aaannnddd just cause it’s a dream, throw in a limiter/noise gate right before the outputs.

Did I do it right? Please tell me someone already makes something like this.

hollowman, Moedailey, design and 3 others like this.
  17. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    A piano black top with gleaming chrome hardware that Doesn't Show Fingerprints!

And a pedal that makes my gee-tar go wah wah wah.

Blankandson, Luigir, DrMole and 2 others like this.
  18. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    Milford, PA

Bass cabs with a foldout type cart with larger wheels and not just castors, that get stuck on every rock, cable, piece of gum and cigarette butt on the way out of a venue, that are modular and foldable lightweight, built right into the cabinet somehow......maybe a hovercraft like device (thinks back to the future hoverboard)......ok too forward thinking, but i can dream.

19. Mine used to exist, but they no longer make it.
    It’s a tuner which allows you to select which pitch you are trying to tune to - and will not perceive any other pitch - until you switch pitches manually.
    Now , I have to buy vintage ones.
    (I need it for instruments other than guitar or bass.) Here is an example: 545B3890-483E-4D6D-AEF0-3CE4A443F022.jpeg
    If anyone knows of any chromatic tuner with manual pitch selection, still made today, let me know.

20. They DO make that. Buy a good Chromatic Peterson Tuner. They are not just made for guitar, being used for bass. They can’t be beat. I love these: 41686665-0F3E-41B1-8AD8-4AE9DFD21BFC.jpeg

Iristone and mikewalker like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021