What do you wish existed?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by DoctorZee, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    It would be cool if they invented a place where bands could play at night, and people would go there to hear the music. They could even sell drinks and sandwiches and give some of the money to the musicians.

2. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I've been holding off from posting my wish item on this thread because, I've already mentioned it a couple of times on Mesa threads but, I will anyway.

If Mesa Engineering could produce an amp that is on par with the Trace Elliot elf I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
    Things that I like about the elf that I'd like to see from Mesa:

-size and ergonomics: fits in a hoodie pocket, on a peddle board and a gig bag without any hassle
    -simplicity: 3 band eq with gain and volume knobs, a power switch and a DI out
    -reasonable power: enough to carry stage/rehearsal volume with the right cabs
    -tone: has the tone you would expect from the brand
    -cost: moderately priced, fairly warrantied, easily accessible

mikewalker likes this.
  3. I think we have a winner.

John

4. Fun Size Nick

Fun Size Nick

Feb 21, 2006
    Hong Kong
    Gigs.

mikewalker likes this.
  5. tb-player

tb-player Gold Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    OP said “bass-related” so, I rah.
    (Kung Fu would be nice to know, as well).:cool:

mikewalker, bassdude51 and equill like this.
  6. Blue sky, thinking out loud:

Powered cabinets you simply stack for how much steam you need on a given stage, with a choice of several different flavors of either top box or pedal preamps, say one for grit, one for ultra clean, one for recording, one for plug-ins / emulation, streamlined for insertion into a snake or IEM's.

An engineered solution to weight in bass guitars: New families of lightweight hardware in new metals or composites if necessary, an engineer/designer's approach to ergonomics (in the 21st Century, neck-heavy basses where the center of gravity was just completely ignored is simply ludicrous) including woods selected. Pickups voiced to work with this axe would ignore whatever the mystery tone this or that wood does or does not add, and would basically sound great even mounted to a pine 2x4. You cold easily use cheaper, sustainable woods. For all the environmental consciousness musicians supposedly profess, they'll pay a fortune for wood that came from troubled areas of the world, even if it was from the last tree of that species, and pay the locals pennies on the dollar.

You can go on and on about these projects, about what could be, but it's a fools errand when guys are still trying to decide which version of 60-year old designs is their 'dream machine', plugged into amps that were introduced when a gallon of gas sold for 15 cents.

mikewalker, fourstr00 and equill like this.
  7. DanGroove

DanGroove Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2017
    Texas
    Some kind of device to keep the sun out of my eyes for outdoor gigs.

AvmGZSIsTS6Dz5Yu_ZIBsjjBDFlic0hJt355six-QXo.jpg

8. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    An off-the -shelf front horn extender.

mikewalker likes this.
  9. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Implementation of new curricula for all high school seniors to include classes on 1) personal finance 2)critical thinking 3)the text of Sapiens.

elfbass, Core Creek, Outbush and 2 others like this.
  10. Oh, and I forgot one other thing:

Anti-Gravity.

Winslow, mikewalker and bassdude51 like this.
  11. pappabass

pappabass Inactive

May 19, 2006
    Alabama !! Roll Tide
    Someone to buy the property I have for sale!

mikewalker likes this.
  12. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    A lightweight bass with an onboard amp and speaker would be very cool

13. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    More good amps without fans like the old GKs.

mikewalker likes this.
  14. a factory-made, quality, ~$900-1400 or so 6 string 33" scale with tight ~16.5mm string spacing.

i 100% think such a thing would be a hit. basic 60's jazz bass pickup setup.

also, an octave pedal with separate on/off switches for dry, -1, +1, and +2. (does this exist yet?)

greykatz and mikewalker like this.
  15. wes stephenson

wes stephenson Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Dallas Texas!!!!
    A 30” scale 24 feet jazz bass that sounds like a regular scale jazz bass.

a way to produce the sounds of a moog and other key bass synthesizers but didn’t change the way you have to play.

mikewalker likes this.
  16. I've thought of this before, too. I imagined a rehearsal studio that is membership-based, like a club or a gym. You pay a monthly fee and can reserve the facilities any time. Then you have a little coffee/bar area, maybe instruments for sale on consignment, and open mic nights or shows.

Edit: Oh, wait. You're talking about a bar. Got it. lol

mikewalker and Medicine Man like this.
  17. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    A 6 lbs swamp ash or alder P Bass (tort guard)(flats)(no neck dive).

mikewalker likes this.
  18. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    mikewalker likes this.
  19. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    RAPISME
    Mute buttons/switches on every bass amp.

amper and Outbush like this.
  20. lordradish

lordradish Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    A live music scene that actually pays.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021