What do you wish you knew when you first started playing bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Synplicity, Feb 8, 2006.

1. i wish i knew alot more before i started bass, my first mistake was buying a squire bronco bass lol. then one day i was tuning it to CGCF, and because im a n00b i was trying to tune UP to it! then i heard a snap and thought it was the truss rod.... so i took it to a music shop.......nothing was wrong, it was where the string clicked through the nut like they do sometimes.......idiot.
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    When I first started, I was bothered because I didn't sound as good as the seasoned guys. What a waste of anger! I spent too much time going to music stores and being intimidated by other players. Hell, I'd only been play about 2 weeks.
  3. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I wish I knew the right way to play right hand fingerstyle.

My friend/mentor told me you use one seperate finger for each string. I "invented" my own style after about two weeks of this.
  4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I wish I new what tuning was when I first started playing. I had no idea about anything, and I didn't have anyone to help me. It wasn't untill my uncle gave me a book on how to play bass that christmas, I learned to tune.

5. +1

I still catch myself doing that. But now I turn it into a reason to practice.
  6. haha. yeah i didnt buy a tuner for another 4 months......
  7. I wish I knew what tone was and how much better it made you sound. If I had realized my amp had an eq either I probably would have practiced more because I would have sounded better.
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I wish that I knew that the name "Moridira Hurricane" on the headstock of a salmon-colored bass did not guarantee a quality instrument.....

I also wish I had started playing with four fingers from the get-go.
  9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I wish I found talkbass early. It does take a lot of my practice time out of my day, but I learned so much from here. I've only been here for a year and a half.
  10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Wish that I had listend to more of my albums for the bass tones, and realized that I want a clean tone most of the time. Would have saved me about $600 which I could have spent on more albums or a better bass.
  11. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I wish that I learnt to tap sooner. Heck I was ignorant of tapping until I was introduced to the work of Stu Hamm and Billy Shehan.