Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do you wish you knew when you first started playing bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Synplicity, Feb 8, 2006.

1. i wish i knew alot more before i started bass, my first mistake was buying a squire bronco bass lol. then one day i was tuning it to CGCF, and because im a n00b i was trying to tune UP to it! then i heard a snap and thought it was the truss rod.... so i took it to a music shop.......nothing was wrong, it was where the string clicked through the nut like they do sometimes.......idiot.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    When I first started, I was bothered because I didn't sound as good as the seasoned guys. What a waste of anger! I spent too much time going to music stores and being intimidated by other players. Hell, I'd only been play about 2 weeks.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I wish I knew the right way to play right hand fingerstyle.

My friend/mentor told me you use one seperate finger for each string. I "invented" my own style after about two weeks of this.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I wish I new what tuning was when I first started playing. I had no idea about anything, and I didn't have anyone to help me. It wasn't untill my uncle gave me a book on how to play bass that christmas, I learned to tune.

5. +1

I still catch myself doing that. But now I turn it into a reason to practice.

6. haha. yeah i didnt buy a tuner for another 4 months......

7. I wish I knew what tone was and how much better it made you sound. If I had realized my amp had an eq either I probably would have practiced more because I would have sounded better.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I wish that I knew that the name "Moridira Hurricane" on the headstock of a salmon-colored bass did not guarantee a quality instrument.....

I also wish I had started playing with four fingers from the get-go.

9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I wish I found talkbass early. It does take a lot of my practice time out of my day, but I learned so much from here. I've only been here for a year and a half.

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Wish that I had listend to more of my albums for the bass tones, and realized that I want a clean tone most of the time. Would have saved me about $600 which I could have spent on more albums or a better bass.

11. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I wish that I learnt to tap sooner. Heck I was ignorant of tapping until I was introduced to the work of Stu Hamm and Billy Shehan.