Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do your fingertips look like?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've noticed that no matter how often or how hard I play, the callouses on my fingers never grow hard or sharp. Instead, they stay sort of a meaty pad like the callouses you might have on the balls of your feet. Just curious what playing a stringed instrument has done to everyone's fingertips.

2. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Mine have those meaty caluses too..just thick skin. It makes for good buger picking tough.

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Kinda smooth and shiny, and hard. No fingerprint :eek:

4. Yea, same! I'm starting to loose my prints (yeeha!:p).

I hardly get caloses.. though.

5. Right now...they have blood blisters on them, at least the right does. The left is smooth, kinda shiny, wide and very round.

6. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    Mine are that thick, shiny, hard thing too...but my middle finger on the right hand continues to get cracked at the corner of the nail--no matter how much lotion, etc that I put on it. When it bleeds that kinda hurts.:bawl:

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The tip of my right index finger is still slightly hard and shiny (leftover from the blisters I think), but the rest of my fingers (both hands) aren't that way, they're just thicker and tougher.

The only finger I don't use is the pinky on my right hand. When I compare the tips of my right and left hand pinkies, the difference is very noticeable.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    poor matt :(

I thought I was the only one! my fingertips are smooth and have no fingerprints, I thought that was weird and not normal, glad to hear I'm not alone :D

that is my right hand, my left hand is just rough.

9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

:bassist: