Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What do your neighbors think about you?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Generican, Sep 13, 2003.

1. All of them hate me, and im about to get evicted.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. All of them hate me, but they dont complain.

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  3. Most of them hate me, but I have the one fan.

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  4. One guy hates me, everyone else is cool.

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. I'm loved by all!

20 vote(s)
    60.6%
  6. I practice elsewhere, so they dont know I play.

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Generican

Generican

Aug 30, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    First time trying out a poll, cause im pissed off... the whole neighborhood loves our band playing, but theres the one crotchety old man next door who keeps calling the cops on us without even talking to us first.

Whenever the cops come, they say they cant tell us who called them, but they always park out in front of the caller's house so they can talk to them first, and they dont think to move the car.

This last time, the cops got the call, and he complained about not being able to sleep (it was 4:30pm) 'cause he has a weird sleep schedule. But after the cops left, he was running his gas-powered hedge trimmer for about 2 hours!

If you guys have a similar gripe about so called "noise" complaints, i'd like to hear them, especially if you took legal action to shut them up.

Pretty much the rest of the neighborhood dropped by one at a time to talk to us, coming up with ideas like petitions and permits, trying to keep us rockin their 'hood.

end.

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

That's what can happen when your rehearsal space is in a neighborhood.

The best you can do is get signatures from your neighbors to show the police. Then they'll know it's the "Old Guy". But it doesn't mean that they can let you continue once a complaint is lodged.

In most of the bands I've been in, we always tried to rent a "band house" that was a house near or at a busy intersection, semi-industrial area, or otherwise "less-desireable" location where the band noise is not noticed, or not an issue. You want a "secure" location for your gear to be sure, but there are "good...Bad Locations".

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    It doesn't matter what your other neighbors think, if you're breaking the law, you're breaking the law (noise ordinances). Ever thought of turning it down a bit? I mean, the old guy has rights too. You catch more flies with honey...

To answer your question, we've lived in our house for about three years now and the majority of my neighbors even know I play bass.

4. My neighbors love it when I have band practice, because if it's a nice day, we'll lay down the tarp and practice outside. My neighbors love getting free shows, but there is this one guy who completley shuts himself off. He threatened to call the police on me because I was "Kayaking in his water" when I was trying to find my wallet I dropped. Often if were having a show or rehearsle at the neighborhood beach club house, he'll call the cops on us, even though we're pretty quiet.

5. We had a band practice in my friends house, and it wasn't so much a case of one neighbour....it was eight of them! We had the garage door shut, and we played at a moderate volume. Most of his neighbours are old folk though...we just found a church hall to practice in.

6. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I live in an apartment building, people know I play bass, but they never hear me play! When I practice at home I keep it down to avoid problems like this!

If all your others neigbors have no problems with you jamming,keep jamming! Throw eggs at the old man!! Tell him to turn down his hearing aids, Wait I got it....call judge Judy! :p

There's always one bad apple in the bunch. Try to sound proof you jam area. Anything to keep that old guy from complaining. Other than that theres not much you can do. Sometimes people have a hard time minding their own damn business.

Good luck! :)

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    In some parts of Miami they cant tell you to turn down till 11:00 pm. =)

Peace
    Nick

8. rollo47

rollo47 Wraggotry in Motion

Nov 12, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    Over here (Perth, Australia), they can't tell you to turn it down until midnight. That said, I've never had any complaints from my neighbours. The only comment I've had is "Oh, you're sounding good with your guitar"

9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'm (way) too mindful of my apartment neighbors to make much noise at home. I practice, but at low volume. Rehearsals are in another city. (!)

[Hi-jack warning: Skip the next few lines]
    I'm looking to buy a small stand-alone house though, I'm fed up with not being able to make as much noise as I want to, with my music interests and with my home cinema. I'm not singing at home for instance, that would set off the neighbors I'm sure. :) Ideally I want to buy a house with a basement that can be converted to rehearsal/recording space, that would be *so* cool. I don't need much - a bathroom, playing room, and a micro-wave. That's about it. :p
    [/Hi-jack warning]

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    like rollo said, in my part of town they can't say nuthin till after 10pm. i thought the laws were the same in most places, or at least until 9pm. are you SURE you're doing anything illegal/ if not, the cops may not be able to do anything. there may be nothing wrong you're doing.

interesting how people can run their lawnmowers and hedge-trimmers at 8AM (they do that in my neighborhood) and that's music to everybody's ears, but MUSIC will drive them crazy.

i had the same experience when i lived in my parents house, one neighbor would go berserk. eventually my father went berserk too and that was the end of it all, but he held out for a good 3 or 4 years with both my brother and I having band practice under the same roof.

things with MY crotchety neighbor got really ugly. lots of police visits, near fist fights, and many all out "sound wars." his bedroom was next to mine (houses were attached) and if i made any noise at nite whatsoever, he would blast classical music at 6 AM to get back at me. 1 nite when my parents were away i took my amp and put it againts the wall facing his room. I got out my keyboard and sequencer and made a loop of me just banging the upper end of the keyboard and the lower end :D . cranked the amp, turned it all on a 1AM and went out for the nite. oddly enough when i got home there were no cops, and no repurcursions - not sure what they did? they must have gone elsewhere to sleep, or maybe the joke was on me and they weren't even home.

anyhow - years after all this and both of us despising each other, i saw him one day and decided (even though he was as guilty as I) to make ammends and apologize for driving him crazy for all those years. we wound up having a nice sorta friendship after that, and he's even taken my back on several occasions with other matters.

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    My neighbors hate me, but not because of noise. They would never complain though...they know better.

12. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    :eek:
    What happens if they complain?

Anyway, my neighbours seem to like me, but they can't hear me practise..

13. When we get together to practice it's usually to write songs because we are just starting out. But when we write, we turn everything low, sit there and just come up with stuff and put it together. Once it's together, we play "normal volume" to make sure we got the whole song down and the neighbors love it :) We had this older couple come out and watch us once and then clapped when we were done (probably because we were playing some AC/DC at one point for the hell of it). But the great thing about my neighborhood is that I have a cop right next door, and then about 5 others scattered throughout the neighborhood, and not once have we been told we were playing too loud. So my house is like perfect for practicing :)

14. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Many of them work at Martin Guitar which is just down the street a bit.

My basement is pretty quiet and I don't play too loudly. They often come to my shows and play our CDs at the frequent neighborhood get-togethers.

15. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I keep it down, no sense being a target if I've got headphones to use.

16. well, that's a horse of a different color...

actually, neighbor to the right died in the sept. 11 thing. how depressing is that. she was a very nice, funny, ebullient chick that i liked a lot.

neighbor to the left is a crotchety 50-something who hates the drums. she made a big stink out of the music situation, and it kinda got under my skin. she wasn't diplomatic. luckily, she goes away this time of year for a while, so i can chill.

in general, new yorkers [and probably lots of people] don't take the time to get to know their neighbors. i'd love to have the type of neighbor who i can borrow a cup o' sugar from, but as i'm sort of an insular type myself, i don't really make the effort.

i just kinda made friends with a downstairs neighbor who is cool and plays trumpet, another who's a martial artist and a stuntman, and i'd like to get to know this woman above me who plays tennis and seems interesting.

but i'm always nervous that people won't like me so i tend to keep it topical, hi-and-bye type stuff. :( i should change that.

m

17. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    most of em are related to me, and even the ones that aren't love to listen to my band. i live out in the country, and all of my neighbors ask me to turn it up. we practice in the evening usually, and the neighbors sit on their porch and listen.

18. please excuse my silliness, but when i read this, i just couldn't stop laughing. it instantly brought this vision of a billy-bob-and--his-appalachian-bluegrass-family gathered 'round the campfire to my warped mind. you know -- all the bad stereotypes like deliverance, toothless wonders and incest keeping the family together stuff.

i truly am not that shallow of a person, and i am sure you are a wonderful person with nice family and neighbors, and neighbors who are your family, but for a feisty chick from new york, it gave me so much fodder, i couldn't resist. truly sorry!

horrifically sarcastic sense of humor now turned OFF on my end. promise.

:p

19. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    Thems fightin words.......Billie bob, Jimbo-joe, cleetus, gather up the youngins and snatch me up my scatter type gun. we're a goin give this miko what's for.

hehe, actually, it's funny. you nailed it pretty much. the people that go out on their porch and listen are the hilliest of all billies. they've woken me up in the morning, at around 7 am by blasting bluegrass/country music, washing their truck, then dancing in their yard. don't get me wrong, they're some of the nicest people i've ever met, but they also have the least number of teeth of any family i know.:D

edit for spelling

20. my neighbours moved out! :D :p