Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what does a 400+ run brand new?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schmittuml, Jan 25, 2006.

1. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    SSIA....

2. $1250 or so I think. Boogie doesn't like any dealers to sell anything at less than their list, so deals on new ones are pretty tough to find.

3. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    GC just told me this week that list is $1699 . . . . . and they seemed incapable, as you said, of considering selling it for anything more reasonable.

- Tim

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yup. That jibes with my recollection of the pricing.

And GC does have a deal with Mesa on pricing, so no hot deals unless its a discontinued model or a cut out.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think they run $1500 or $1600. I don't think they are $1700 as described above, but Mesa does have consistant pricing everywhere; there is no haggleing down the price.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Let me check my invoice from Mesa Boogie.....

Its $1599.00 anywhere you go from any authorized Mesa Boogie dealer anywhere unless they have old stock that Mesa Boogie has authorized a discount on.

They sell all their gear for list prices to ensure fair deals anywhere you go.

7. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    OK, I can beleive I was a hundred off - I was basically in shock . . . . and fixed pricing to be fair? Get real - it's fixed pricing to guarantee exhorbitant margins! Take a look at whats in one of these, and you will realize the markup is well over 4 fold! Also, I thought that it was illegal - "price fixing" for a manufacturer to force a dealer to sell at a fixed price. Perhaps they do it out of respect, but I suspect that if GC wanted to start cutting deals, that Mesa could do exactly dick about it . . . . at least legally . . . . And no, this is NOT the same issue as MAP . . .

- Tim

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Mesa would probabally just not let a store carry their products if the store sold em for other than Mesa pricing. I think $1600 is pretty reasonable for an all tube 300 watt head though.

9. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I'm pretty sure that's called price fixing, and will get you a date in court if you are caught doing it. I am pretty sure that the law says that the mfg. can only dictate the price to the reseller, and the reseller can legally sell for whatever they wish . . . .

- Tim

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    There is nothing illegal about a manufacturer setting a minimum selling price. The pricing on a 400+ is comparable to an Ampeg SVT, so I hardly see it as overpriced.

11. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Then why have many companies been sued (and lost BIG TIME) for price fixing? If this isn't price fixing, I don't know of a better example . . .

- Tim

12. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    This is not price fixing in the legal sense. If it was Mesa would have been hammered on it a long time ago, because they have been doing business this way for many years.

Taken from here http://business-law.freeadvice.com/trade_regulation/price_fixing.htm

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Go find another 300 Watt all tube head with the reputation of the 400+ for less if you dont like the price.

Oh, and Mesa doesnt see the higher profit from the fixed prices, the dealers do.

14. dgovaerts

dgovaerts

Dec 22, 2004
    for $1599 I would buy it in a second!
    Where I live it costs 2,200 eur!

Using the current exchange rates for dollars that would be

$2,695.45:crying: :crying: :crying:

15. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    No, but it makes me tempted to build my own. Other than the two transformers and tubes, it would be hard to spend more than $50 for the components in a 400 . . . . and even if the transformers were $150 each, it would still be very easy to come out ahead . . . . Waaaaaaaay ahead! I think all current tube stuff is ripoff priced, since the younger generation sees it as "bottled magic" and not the simple circuitry that it really is . . . . .

- Tim

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    If the profit is that staggering, I can't imagine what is stopping you from making your own!

17. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    Mostly lack of time and motivation . . . . . I have all the gear, all I would really need to find would be the transformers (probably not that tough, just haven't looked) and to fab a chassis . . . . . who knows, one of these days . . . . and haveing at least 100 NOS tubes from the 60s already on hand doesn't hurt much either . . . .

- Tim

18. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    soo...how much would you charge?
    not trying to be facetious, but i'm too busy playing to build amps.
    and i'd love to have an all-tube head...
    doug

19. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    Apple has also been doing this with the Ipod and alot of other products for years. And you are correct this is not really price fixing, or someone would have been sued a LONG time ago.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Hop to it dude. Lack of motivation? Puh-leez. I bet any guy on this board would JUMP at the chance to build a 400+ clone for the price you think you can if he had the knowledge to do so. I know I would.

-Mike