Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does a blown speaker sound like?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Max, Mar 28, 2001.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    That may sound like a stupid question but I have a situation where this is relevant. Assuming cosmetically the speaker is fine, no rips or tears, if it is "blown" wouldn't you get distorted or fuzzy sound or very faint sound from it? In other words, you would really know it judging by the sound? Thank you for any input.

2. jugdish

jugdish

May 25, 2000
    Orange County
    Blown speaker with no tears sounds like it is farting. I had the voice coils melt on my cabinet. When I would play in nothing but farting came out. And when you touched the speaker, normally there is some push and pull to it. With the coil melted the speaker was stuck in the out position and you couldn't really push it. Hope this helps.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"Thhhhpppppp", often.

If it doesn't fart consistently, that is, at lower power levels, it's not blown.

If metal parts in the coil/coils are rubbing together, the blown speaker can have a metallic buzz along with a severely distorted sound.

I've also seen one that makes absolutely no sound. Over 30 years ago :eek: , I teamed up a 450W SS head with a Guild 15". The head literally blew the wires off the speaker terminals.

4. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Sometimes they sound like this:

No (or very little) sound.

5. When I blew one of the 15s in a 2-15 cabinet, it sounded so weird. When I'd hit certain notes it sounded like someone was folding and unfolding a heavy brown paper bag through the amp. Almost as bad as fingernails on a blackboard!

Yuk!

Mike J.