Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does a chorus pedal do?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Scuzzy666, Apr 2, 2001.

1. And a stereo pedal as well. I've asked a million people and they all do the "It's this one thingy that does this...this...thing..."

I know, it's a dumb question, but did you know everything when you first started out?

2. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Yes I knew everything when I started........kidding of course.

A chorus pedal splits your signal and blends a clean signal with one that has slight delay and vibrato to create the chorusing effect. The idea is that if you had a chorus of instruments not everyone would play at eactly the same time and it is those timing differences that give the chorus its distinctive sound. Although, I've never thought I sounded like more than 1 player when I was going through a chorus.

A stereo pedal lets you send the output to 2 amps so if you separate the amps it will sound like different sounds are coming from each speaker.

Overall I'd describe chorus as a very glassy, ethereal, dreamy kind of sound. Less whooshy than a flanger.

Hope this helps. If anyone knows if I'm incorrect, please point it out.

3. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    What he said ^
    l
    l

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I agree mostly with what ihixulu says, but on one technicality...
    I THINK (I could be wrong) that a chorus pedal alters the pitch, instead of just adding tremolo. It supposed to sound like a "chorus" of people playing at once, (as said above) because one man's A=440 is another's 441.

5. a chorus is the electronic version of what it is named for, try to think of it that way. In a human chorus,or choir, you have several members singing different "parts" of the same note or key. So the bass chorus registers the note, and then adds harmonics (or harmony notes) to make the note sound "bigger" . I find the chorus to be most effective when blended with the straight signal in slower, more open passages, when it can give your notes a more full sound. With the blend set to 100% effect, it can be used to create some intriguing sounds as a feature part, although at this setting it can muddy up faster passages- something I'm sure the average tech is already doing for you!

-Liam- likes this.