Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does a compressor do?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by de la mocha, Mar 7, 2006.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    All this time, I had it on my effect processor but never even messed with it. Yes i'm a newbie....

2. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    it evens out the high and low volume in your signal. if someone were talking, it would boost their whispers and turn down their shouts to (for example) normal talking levels. The range between quiet and loud is called dynamic range. A compressor basically squashes the dynamic range. It's a useful device for bass playing because going from fingerstyle to slap is a huge dynamic range. So if you're playing at a good volume fingerstyle, the slap can really pop the speaker if that signal is not attenuated a little. And even if you're just playing fingerstyle, it evens out the volume.

Some bass players swear by them. Some hate em.

There are sound samples on: http://www.analogman.com/rossmod.htm#comp

You'll probably listen to those sound samples and say "***? i don't hear any effect at all!" That's because popular music recordings are really compressed using studio compressors. but it's definitely something you would notice playing live.

3. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Thanks for explaining this so well! I'm gonna fiddle with mine right now...

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Here is a great post, mostly writen by fretlessbass and slightly modified by me, that explains compression basics very nicely.

[/FONT]