1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What does a early 90's HSC (Stingray) look like?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazz3625tonic, Sep 22, 2008.

1. jazz3625tonic

jazz3625tonic Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
    Would anyone happen to know what an early 90's Musicman Stingray (4 string) HSC looks like? Would this be it? I'm getting a used Ray in a few days and I was just looking at this case on the bay and was wondering if this would be period correct? Thanks!

2. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    I got my first brand new Ray back in 2000 and they were still using the tolex covered cases, so with that, I'm going to say that the 90's cases were all tolex.

3. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    right mine is 92 and it looks nothing like this plastic case. i may be able to get you some pic later

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Tolex for sure, with a black interior.

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yup, 90's was tolex cases. Like this one, black exterior, and with black interior.
    0b40_1.

2000 is the transition period when the plastic cases filtered in.

6. That case is exactly like the case I got with my Stingray S.U.B. Bass. IIRC it's one of the last ones 04' or 05' with the black pickguards. Like the ones shown on TPB site.

7. jazz3625tonic

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
    Thanks everyone! and any other pic's would be great. :)

8. This is what my '93 Sterling came in.

9. jazz3625tonic

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
    Ok, so... were they G&G's or ??? Did they have a Musicman tag or logo on them anywhere? I do have a case for my Ray, it's a older Fender tweed which is nice but I just wanted to have a matching Musicman case for it.

:help:

10. Mine had no logo. Just a nondescript hard case. Of course, I'm assuming they gave me the case it came to the store in. It looked exactly like Casa de Kick's pic.

11. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Same type of case my 96 SR5 came in.

12. Mine also came in the same tolex case as pictured above. No logo.

13. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yes they were G&G, and no logo on them anywhere.

14. jazz3625tonic

Sep 28, 2003
    Canada
    Thanks man!! Thats what I needed to know. :)

15. Navybass

Navybass

Mar 12, 2005
    Norfolk, Va.
    They did have a foam insert where the lower horn of the bass fit around, inside the case. The inside lining was black with a long pocket with a lid on it in the upper left corner