Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does anyone know about "Kramer" basses??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HWK2, Sep 8, 2000.

1. I am looking to buy a new bass, and I found a line of basses that looks like a good combo of price and quality. Certainly a step up from the Squire Affinity I own. What does anyone know about them? The one I am looking it specs out like this:

Technical Specifications
    Neck: 3-pc Canadian Hard Maple
    Neck Profile: Elliptical, Slim-Taper
    Construction: Neck-Thru
    Body Wings: North American Alder
    Neck Pickup: Dual-Rail Bass Humbucker (N2S)
    Bridge Pickup: Dual-Rail Bass Humbucker (B2S)
    Controls: Neck Volume
    BridgeVolume
    MasterTone
    5-WayRotary
    From "FUNK" to "FAT"
    1 - Both pickup, single-coil mode
    2 - Bridge pickup in parallel andneck pickup single-coil mode
    3 - Bridge pickup in parallel andneck pickup in series mode
    4 - Bridge pickup in series and neck pickup parallel
    5 - Bridge pickup series and neck pickup series

Bridge: Kramer 4750 Adjustable Bridge
    String Spacing: 3/4" (0.750") Center to Center
    Machine Heads: Gotoh GB7 Die-Cast (20:1 ratio)
    Nut: Standard
    Nut Width: 1.625"
    Frets: 24 Jumbo Nickel/Steel
    Headstock: 14 degree pitch
    Straight String Pull
    Fingerboard: 24 fret, Indian Rosewood
    F/B Radius: 16"
    Scale Length: 34"
    F/B Inlay: Pearl Dots

Any good?? (Especially for 199.99?)

Thanks

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    You are sort of asking for an apples to oranges comparison. I have one of the Kramer 5 strings (the one with the 2+3 headstock) and the Kramer is a totally different beast then anything Fender makes, even a Squier Affinity. My Kramer plays quite well, with very low action and no buzzes, but with the neck through construction, it doesn't feel anything like a Fender. The whole neck has gloss lacquer, which is something a lot of players, especially those used to the "Fender" feel (except for the 70's Fenders when the necks all had a high gloss clear on the back side) don't like. The Kramer seems to be built quite well for the money. The Kramer is capable of many tones, but none of them is really a classic Fender tone, yet none of them is a "modern" slap tone either...sort of like the 80's Gibson basses in that you either like the tones they have, or you don't, but they have their own sound. In fact, if anything, the Kramer with the 5 way tone knob sounds a lot like my 80's Gibson Ripper. Don't know if it is coincidental or not, but the Ripper pickups and electronics were designed by Bill Lawrence, I believe, and then new 5 string Epiphone EB bass and Les Paul bass have OBL (Original Bill Lawrence) "dual rail" pickups (same as in the Kramer, I believe) and the same 5 way rotary knob. It sure looks like a pattern here, if you follow. All in all, the Kramer is a good playing bass for $200 new...better then many others out there. Is it better then a Squier Affinity? Tough question, as I have seen some Affinity's that when set up properly, play sound and play quite good. In fact, I have a friend who has been recording with an Affinity Tele (guitar) because it sounds and plays so good...stock from the showroom floor. Bottom line is, I have P basses, J basses and Tele basses, and the Kramer is a totally different animal from any of them

Anyway, that is my two cents (and maybe more) worth...hope it helps.

Steve

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Well...you won't find another bass that comes close to the quality of the Kramer for that price. But....keep in mind...
    that something is never a bargin, at ANY price...if it isn't what you really want.