Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What does anyone know about the G-K 400RB 2x10 combo???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kelticknotts, Jan 12, 2003.

1. kelticknotts

kelticknotts

Jan 12, 2003
    Kingston NY
    I'm considering buying one and maybe the 1x15 bottom cab...Does anyone have any thoughts on it?????And also.....How does the Carvin R600 2x10 rate?????Thanks in advance!!!

2. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    I own the RB400-III head, and have played through the combo you speak of, and I love it. When I am looking at amplification, defined lows and clear mids and highs are what I am looking for, which is what the GK does for me. I like to hear every nuiance of my playing, too. The GK is what some people call 'modern tone' and clearly I like it. Having said that, be advised- the 400-III is a 240 watt head, and while it has been loud enough for me, (even in 8 ohm configuration when it only does 170 or so watts), it may not have enough headroom for a larger venue. It has a couple of voicing filters: contour, which scoops out the mids (a bit useless, that is what the EQ is for) and presence, which the manual claims to 'help add definition and clarity to highs' though I can't say it does a whole lot. Bottom line is, I dont use either of the filters. It also has a direct out, which is always useful for going to a PA in a live setting, and a 4/5 string switch for the bass, but I don't play 5 so I can't comment on that. While I do not own the combo, the head only has 1/4 outs, wheras a speakon would have been nice, but as long as you get a nice thick low guage wire for the extension cab, you should be alright.

Hope this helps!

3. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    awesome combo!

I'm about to buy one myself:D

but try for yourself and see if you like it and
    if you can't the best way I can define this amp is...

quick and responsive with very clean and articulate tone. You also have a lot of options on that combo for sound.