What does everybody think of the Genz-Benz GBE500h?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    This is a 2-rack space amp with a blendable tube/FET preamp, and a built in DI.

I got a chance to check one of these out today and it wasn't bad at all. But I'm wondering if it sounds that good with other cabinets.

How is the durability?

Does anybody have any experience with this product? Let me heaaar what you think.
  2. I have the GBE250C in head form, basically the same preamp with half the power of the 500. I recently powered a SWR Goliath Sr. with it and it shook the walls with 250w at 4ohms. I love the connectivity of the 250, and I understand that the 500 has speakon connections as well. I ordinarily use my 250 to power a GenzBenz 212XBT cab, which is rated 250w @ 4ohms also. Hangs with a Marshall half-stack just fine. Since you can see what I have GAS for down below, perhaps you could PM me if interested in purchasing the Genz half stack. The Black Beauty would be easier on this near-40-year-old.
  3. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Thanks for answering.

The one I played through was hooked up to a 4x10 and a 1x15. It had a pretty monstrous sound with the stack, but I also am close enough to 40 to see it from here and want to replace a big stack with something I can carry all at once. And I want to be able to guess how it'll sound that way.

I'm really interested in small enclosures, like 2x10's, 1x12's, maybe even 1x10's, so I can set them waaaaaaaaaaaaaay apart and have a Bass tone everywhere in stead of trying to fill a room from where I'm standing.

My old gig-rig was about the size of a refrigerator. I don't need anything that big anymore. I don't gig anymore. I just go to jam so I don't need to bring the fridge. I want something that'll fit in my backseat.

Now here is the catch. I want it to SOUND like that stack did yesterday. I won't need so much volume, but I will need as much clarity and warmth.

Those are harder to get in the same small cab than I would have hoped.
  4. ...for a Black Beauty or Carvin Red Eye Combo...or perhaps the new Ampeg PortaBass series of cabs to go with their 250w amp...or even a decent Peavy combo...Ashdown makes nice compact stuff too.
  5. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Okay I think I have made up my mind.

I'm going with the Genz-Benz head into a pair of Avatars, a compact 115 and a compact 112.

What does everybody think of that combination?
  6. David Morris

David Morris Supporting Member

May 22, 2002
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I recently acquired a used GBE 500H, and really haven't played through it enough yet (2 gigs) to get to know it too well, but my impressions so far are very favorable. Quite loud. Tone that cuts through the mix. The ability to blend the FET and tube preamps provides some interesting sounds. Controls and connections are well laid out and intuitive.

Last weekend I ran mine into two Ampeg Portabass 210s - room-filling sound but very lightweight rig.