1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

what does everyone think about six string basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sixstringlovr, May 25, 2011.

1. sixstringlovr

sixstringlovr

May 23, 2011
    I have been playing bass for six years and have stuck almost entirely to six strings. I have played many four strings including $1500 music man basses top of the line fender jazz basses fretless basses etc and i just can't write the same or feel as comfortable on a four string. Am i being narrow minded?

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    My main basses are 6 strings... I can play 4 strings as well because I am used to uprights as well. But 5 strings, I feel like a string is missing...

So the majority of my basses are 6 and 4 strings. I do have a couple of 5 strings in the mix, but the main 5 is used for one specific thing...

3. Skabasskid

Skabasskid

Mar 6, 2011
    My motto - the more strings the merrier. =]

4. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    i think.... they have more than 5 but less than 7 strings.

i prefer 6's, but that doesn't really mean anything because i know a LOT of players that just kill me skill wise that rock 4 or 5's. all preference homie.

5. Blackened Soul

Blackened Soul

May 13, 2011
    Have nothing against them, but I have never played one I really liked. I own one of those Les Paul shaped Danelectro bass sixes though, not that it is the same thing but anyway...:meh:

6. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    No, you're not narrow minded at all. I for one think 6 strings are 2 strings too many for me, and I really don't care for 5 strings either. It all depends on what the player is comfortable with and what the demands of what you play require....

7. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Plus! No one ever said you "NEED" to play the other 2 strings... You could play it like a 4 string bass, and never touch the B / C strings... and vice versa... They are just there, and there is something about a good 6 string that just feels so good in the hands...

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    At one time I thought that six string basses were dreamy.

Then I realized that I was wrong, and I saw that they were boss.

But after much thought, I came to the conclusion that they are, in fact, rad.

9. I played a six string once. To me it's unnatural, and I can't see why I'd want one. I tend to play fours, I have one five, which I enjoy for the lower notes, and I am always toying with getting a better one.

Might be different for different styles of music. If I played a lot of slap bass for example.

10. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    That was pretty cool. I can see how that high string puts certain notes close enough to get to and from them so quickly, not having to go up and down the neck.

What I found cool was that he wasn’t playing with a pick.

Were he playing with a pic, I don’t think I’d have been much impressed, as it’d be more like just guitar playing on a bass.

11. There are good sixers and bad sixers. I tend to like 19mm (3/4") string spacing so that restricts the options a bit. I dig the Yamaha TRB6ers.... hmmm... must get me another one.

12. Blackened Soul

Blackened Soul

May 13, 2011
    I would have liked to hear that with a pick really... and maybe a more distorted tone:bassist:

13. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I regard 6string basses as being best for those who want to do 6string guitar like things on bass. but they do seem rather silly idea for those just doing regular basic bass guitar playing. Lol. Theyre fine for those who can be comfortable with the 6string basses extra wide necks. And who want to do outsider the box bass playing. Lol.

14. I'm not really fond of 6's for the same reason I don't really like 5's...the B string tension (or lack of), but that's just me. I'm good with my old-skool 4's.

15. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I don't think much about them. I'm not mad at 'em or anything, just not my thing. I've heard plenty of solos rendered on a 6 string that sound like a banjo or "weird guitar" because they were out of context stylistically(IMO), I'm not confident that I could avoid this kind of thing so I've steered clear....just a personal decision. I've seen/heard plenty of 6 string players sound wonderful.

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    You're playing the wrong 5's and 6's. ;)

17. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I have a four out on the road with me as a backup, but most of the time it doesn't even leave the trailer. I sing a lot in this band, and being able to stay in one position and not have to look at the neck is really helpful.

18. My feelings on it is if you want to play a 6 string, play guitar.

19. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I don't think about them.